cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System should not allow other than the specified format in WBS numbering

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi PS experts,

i am struggling with one of my scenario which is WBS coding/numbering should be in /xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/ (X= Alphanumeric). System should not allow any other format other than the mentioned format.

I believe i will get your suggestions/reply asap.

Regards

Vetri

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member230675
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you may use exit CNEX0002 with the specific logic.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can define a validation with respect to the project profile that you use for creating the projects. Try creating a validation using PROJ-PROFL and PROJ-KIMSK and revert.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gokul,

In validation, I created pre-requisite as PROJ-PROFL = " X project profile" and in the "Check" i mentioned as PROJ-KIMSK = '/XXXX/XXXX/XXXX/'. Is it correct?

If so, in the above case, whether system will consider "X" as alpha numeric?. However, i am unable to create WBS even if i mentioned as per the mask ID mentioned after assign this validation to Project profile.

Suggest me more.

Regards

Vetri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I created the same validation in my IDES system and it is working perfectly fine. I defined the validation as PROJ-PROFL = "1000" (pre-requisite) and PROJ-KIMSK = '/XXXX/XXXX/XXXX'. Try it out once.

Also let me know what your coding mask looks like. Does it have the special character '/' at the end too i.e '/XXXX/XXXX/XXXX/'? If that is the case remove the special character and then try with the validation mentioned above. I don't think system will allow you to create a coding mask with a special character at the end. Anyway try this out once and revert. And remember that the validation will work only while saving the project and that too if you have ticked the check box for Automatic Validation in the project profile.

Regards,

Gokul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gokul,

I did the same as you suggested. I maintained the validation as PROJ-PROFL = "PON0001" (pre-requisite) and PROJ-KIMSK = '/XXXX/XXXX/XXXX'. When i create level 1 WBS for a project defintion "A001" as "A001/CONS" I am getting error as "Validation unsucessful".

What could be the cause of the error?

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the project id that you have maintained in the coding mask? Is it A001? Does your coding mask look like this,

"A001/XXXX/XXXX/XXXX"?

I don't think system will allow you to create a WBS the way you actually want to. Instead of creating A001/CONS as the WBS why don't check what WBS id the system takes as default? Meanwhile i will try to replicate this and see if i can find anything.

Check this and revert.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gokul,

Appreciate your support really. But still i am unable to resolve the issue. I guess there is a misunderstood of my issue.

They dont want to create WBS automatically. The requirement is they will use 4 alphanumeric character for each WBS numbering. If it is level 1, it should followed by Project definition and if it level2 wbs it should have continuance with project defn/level1/level 2.

For example,

Proj. defn = PRN0001

WBS level 1 should be PRN00001/BCON

WBS level 2 should be PRN00001/BCON/BRIC/

Like that it will continue for the next remaining levels.

System should not allow the user to create other than the above structure of name like XXXX/XXXX/XXXXX for WBS.

Hope it explains in detail of my issue.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can switch ON"Edit " tick box in OPSK & restrict using codes other than defined

Indicator: only edited project numbers allowed

You use this indicator to determine that only coded project numbers may be used within the Project System.

also define ""PRN" part on prjID part on OPSJ.

and if you need "BCON" part always on WBS you can use validation to check it on WBS level wise that part only.

Hope this also help you.

Thanks & regards,

SL

Edited by: sam Lesha on May 10, 2011 3:53 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I find some workaround solution for my issue. However it is not resolved completely. I would like to share workaround solution to all.

In OPSK, deselect the indicator for structure length and give project definition length as 1 and select the EDIT option

In OPSJ, Define your coding mask and create the way you want your WBS element should appear.

In OPSJ, enter PRJID as "A" and define your mask as "/XXXX/XXXX/XXXX"

and save.

When your create project definiton in CJ20N or other tcodes, Enter "A" as your first character...so system will take default mask settings of "A" defined in OPSJ

Eg, If you enter projeect definition as "ACONS".. System will convert that as "A/CONS/.."

If you create WBS under this project definition you have to enter next four character like"TEST" ...then the WBS code will looks like "A/CONS/TEST"...

If you enter only two character for WBS instead four character as pre defined, the system will provide space for those character which you have entered.

Thanks for all your support and help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Define the number of special characters permitted in your coding and define all the combination of those special characters in the defined format in project coding mask spro node.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

The system have special characters already and i dont want all the combination of mask ID. I want the WBS element ID should be created only in xxxx/xxxx/xxxx/xxxx. System should not allow any other format to create WBS.

Regards

Vetri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Make use of the Validations concept. Use PRPS_POSID field & set your validations as desired.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Krisap,

I tried to do Validation concepts already but in that i am able to validate the Project defintion or any other field against constant only. It is possible to check the format (MASK ID) when creating new WBS element. If so, please explain me clearly. Actually i tried a lot on validation but i not success.

Request to give me a detailed reply.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Maintain a set of your required values in GS02 (for example ZSET)

have your validation for each character of your PRPS_POSID. (this field doesnot consider the special characters).

For example,

if

PRPS_POSID 1-1 IN "ZSET" (this means that the 1st character should be one from the set of values ZSET)

no error

if not

throw error.

repeat this for each character of PRPS_POSID.

regards