0 Kudos

Hi,

Require inputs on feasibility of below scenario:

Current Landscape:

Productive SAP instance: on HP Unix and ORACLE 10.2

Requirement:

To form a DR solution.

Standard Approach:

Procure hardware similar to production ..i.e, with HP Unix and Oracle and configure DR.

Doubt:

For above scenario, Can we have disaster recovery server with Linux OS instead of HP- Unix OS????

Share your views.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai...

Very Nice Idea to do so, but it is not possible now, You can do that by upgrading your DR database to 11g, This is the great feature available with 11g

Cheers

KHS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mr. Hari Shankar ,

Thanks for answer,

Which Oracle feature you are taking about ?

Can you share more information.

Regards.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HP-UX is BigEndian, Linux is LittleEndian --> Linux can't read the files from HP-UX --> no.

Markus

janlars_goedtke
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

generally you need the same operating system for a backup (note 592393 point 15).

I remember a time, where you can use an SUN backup in an AIX environment, but Linux is as stated before little endian.

Jan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for the answer.

Just to know more about such heterogeneous scenario

"Can we have disaster recovery scenario with different OS if both(Production server and standby DR server ) are having same endianness."

Regards,

janlars_goedtke
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you want support by SAP, no.

And from my personal point of view I wouldn' recommend it either.

If your business is so critical that you need a short time FailOver solution, you (resp. your bosses) should invest some money...

Regards

Jan

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> If your business is so critical that you need a short time FailOver solution, you (resp. your bosses) should invest some money...

...or just get rid of HP-UX on Itanium (for which there will be no Oracle 12 or later anyway) and switch completely to Linux

Markus