cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate Installation Server to NEW Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i want to move our current Installtion Server to a NEW Server but i dont find any information about the procedure to do that. The old Server was a Windows 2003 R2 and the new one is Windows 2008 R2. Has somebody done this before?

Thanks

Hildwin Wonner

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hildwin,

I had used the technique which Klaus-Georg Adams mentioned to setup the new Windows 2008 R2 server.

The problem I am now seeing is that installs of SAPGui 7.20 to Windows clients are taking much longer.

You might want to time an install off your 2003 server and then do same off the 2008 server once it is up.

I'm seeing 2003 server 7 minutes - 2008 Server 23 minutes. The clients are on 1Gbps connections and both servers have 10Gbps NICs.

Our support personnel are starting to complain of the long install time too, since they are only on 100Mbps nics.

Post your results.

Thanks,

Bob H

Minneapolis, MN

USA

0 Kudos

Hi Bob,

did you analyze the logfiles NwSapSetup.log in "Program Files/SAP/SAPSetup/LOGs" to check if anything specific stands out as taking much longer as before? We do log timestamps.

Just migrating to another platform should not change installation times.

Best regards, Klaus-Georg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Klaus-Georg

Thanks for jumping into this thread on the slowness. Yes I have looked at the nwsapsetup.log

Nothing stands out that would explain the slowness.

The 2008 RS SP1 Server is Virtual as the 2003 one was.

I'm going to do some more digging and information gathering. I'll likely startup a separate thread on the matter.

Bob

0 Kudos

Hello Hildwin,

it should be sufficient to run the program <old server>\Setup\NwCreateInstServer.exe and provide it with the path to the new installation server you want to set up. That will duplicate the exact content of the old installation server onto the new one.

However in case your client PCs run the Automatic Workstation Update Service, they will still look on the old server, until they have run the first installation/update from the new one.

Best regards, Klaus-Georg

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Klaus-Georg,

Yes we run the Automatic Workstation Update Service. Thanks for your helpful reply but i have a question.

You wrote:

However in case your client PCs run the Automatic Workstation Update Service, they will still look on the old server, until they have run the first installation/update from the new one.

Do i must do a complete installation from the new Server on the Clients or is it enought to update a Package on the new Server and save them?

Or is it easier to change the Registry because i found this:

Under

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP\SAP Shared

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP\SAP Shared\SAP_WUS

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP\SAP Shared\SAPBI

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\SAP\SAP Shared\SAPBW

a key named SAPSourceDir with the UNC Path

We use Windows 7 x64.

Best regards

Hildwin

0 Kudos

Hi Hildwin,

on each workstation the location of the server it was installed from is saved. And the AWUS looks on this server for updates. So just migrating the server and updating a package will not cause the workstations to be installed. For this you actually have to run an installation of any product on the workstations.

Hope this helps,

Klaus-Georg