Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sybase Unwired Platform - BES architecture

former_member190457
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

for a project I am about to start, I would like to know how SUP relates to Blackberry Enterprise Server.

I have found this [link|http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc01381.0120/doc/html/koh1273769305151.html] about Mobile Sales which shows an architecture made of:

- backend systems

- SUP

- relay server (only for non-BB devices)

- BES (only for BB devices)

However in my scenario I don't have Mobile Sales but just SAP + SUP: is BES mandatory/reccommended?

I would really appreciate any suggestion or link to documentation

Thanks, regards

Vincenzo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You don't have to use a relay server with the BES because BlackBerry devices already have a secure access to your network thanks to the BES. With the BES you don't have to worry if or how the mobiles devices will have access to your network and that's a great advantage compared to other solutions (i.e iOS or Android).

So, to answer your question : the BES is not mandatory but it is highly recommended in a SAP + SUP scenario.

Regards,

Pierre

former_member190457
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pierre, thanks for your precious help.

So I understand that BES is highly recommended, because the only other option would be to expose SUP directly on the web, right?

As far as I know, when developing with Device Application Designer the resulting code will use GPRS connectivity.

Is this ok with using BES?

Any link to related material would be really appreciated

(very-useful-answer points awarded )

Thanks and regards

Vincenzo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, that's right. As I said, one of the advantages of using a BES is that you don't have to worry about connectivity. As long as you have wireless coverage (GPRS, 3G...), the mobile device is connected to the BES so you have access to your internal network (and to the SUP server) and an application developped with the DAD will work.

Regards,

Pierre

former_member190457
Contributor
0 Kudos

> As long as you have wireless coverage (GPRS, 3G...), the mobile device is connected to the BES

Do you include also 802.11 wifi connectivity in this list or is it just limited to mobile phone transport protocols?

In addition could you provide some link to documentation or best practices?

Thanks again, points awarded

Vincenzo

Former Member
0 Kudos

A BlackBerry device can establish a Wi-Fi connection from an enterprise Wi-Fi network or, in conjunction with a VPN session, from a personal Wi-Fi network or from a Wi-Fi hotspot to complete a direct route to the BlackBerry Router.

Source -> http://docs.blackberry.com/en/admin/deliverables/7359/Wi-Fi_Implementation_Supplement.pdf

EDIT : there is a lot of useful information regarding BlackBerry development on RIM website -> http://us.blackberry.com/developers/

Regards,

Pierre

Edited by: Pierre DOMINIQUE on May 9, 2011 3:43 PM

Answers (0)