cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Debug in NWDS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to SAP EP. But as I am from Java technology, I have fair bit of idea about Eclipse IDE tool and in that way understand NWDS also to some extent as both are same in most aspects.

But I do not know how to DEBUG a java application in NWDS.

Scenario :

We have a Java application. Code of this java application is in NWDI. This is a application built on Servlets and JSPs. There is no framework used (Like struts or Spring). We have 3 Portal environments here, Dev, QA and Production.

Now, Can some one tell me, how I can debug the java application which I have in portal (Like by putting break points in the code and pressing F6 and F7 which we do in Eclipse).

In my previous project, where I was working on Java technology with Eclipse as IDE tool,... I had a local server running on my machine, which I configured with Eclipse. So when I put put break points in my code, build it and deploy on to the server and start running the aplication,...my application stops at the point where I put break point. From here on I used F6 and F7 keys to see the application flow.

But here in SAP portal.....I do not have any local environment. Ofcourse, we do have a environment called sandbox...but it actually is not a local copy....it is just like dev or QA environment which he people use to learn SAP Portal, basically to play around.

Please llet me know how I can debug my java application in this scenario. If it is not possible to debug in this scenario..then please let me know the modifications required in the setup, which would enable be to go ahead with java application debugging.

Hope my question is clear.....if not, let me know.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello sun197895,

did you manage to resolve the debugging issue?

If yes, I kindly ask you to close this thread by marking it as answered.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Ervin

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

only moderators can add attachments.

Best Regards,

Ervin

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Pramod,

sorry but is it a document you wanted to add here? Your link is the main entry point for webdynpro for java.

This seems to be a bit off topic for me and not related to the topic "debugging in NWDS".

Best Regards,

Ervin

pramod_gopisetty1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ervin,

I wanted to point the link to go to Ensuring Quality - Debugging Web Dynpro Application in the same link which talks about how to enable Debugging and setting breakpoints.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/be/cffcb407c67842b122bd1296dc810f/content.htm

Do let us know of how to add attachments to the message.

Regards,

-Pramod

pramod_gopisetty1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have added a guide as attachment (debug.zip) for you explaining how to debug.

In addition you may find the following notes useful:

#822246 - How does Netweaver Developer Studio Debugging work?

#883329 - Setting watchpoints in Netweaver Developer Studio

#944763 - Debug connection error 'Failed to connect to remote VM

#862674 - Reduced Performance of SAP NetWeaver Java in Debug mode

#822243 - Source not found when debugging

Best Regards,

Ervin

Ash_ok
Contributor
0 Kudos

Ervin,

The debug.zip file seems to be empty.

Cheers,

Ashok.

p330068
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ashok,

Please check [|]

Best Regards

Arun Jaiswal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First you have to set the debugging ON from the portal server from configtool/visual admin. By default debugging is switched off. After that you will find a debug option in NWDS, similar to eclipse under the "Run" option .

Thanks