cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TDMS between different R/3 versions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

We are having problems with our timeline since an upgrade will happen in the middle of our project. We will need to do a TDMS transport from the production R/3 environment to the preproduction R/3 environment while they are in different versions.

The preproduction will already be upgraded to version ECC 6.0 EHP 4 while production is still on ECC 6.0 SP17 EHP 3 Is it possible to do a TDMS transport from a lower version to a higher one?

I assume there will be a lot of risks and constraints involved. Can anyone point me to some documentation?

Thx

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

rajesh_kumar2
Active Participant
0 Kudos

> We will need to do a TDMS transport from the production R/3 environment to the preproduction R/3 environment while they are in different versions.

>

> The preproduction will already be upgraded to version ECC 6.0 EHP 4 while production is still on ECC 6.0 SP17 EHP 3 Is it possible to do a TDMS transport from a lower version to a higher one?

>

> I assume there will be a lot of risks and constraints involved. Can anyone point me to some documentation?

>

>

Hi ,

The more consistent approach would be to upgrade the pre-production system to same ECC version and then do the TDMS refresh.

However ,it is still possible to do the TDMS refresh with the existing landscape as well.

In the standard TDMS package there are some activities like -

- Start Table Analysis

- Check Status of Tables

- Execute Consistency Checks .

These activities will track the tables with different schema's in the source and destination systems and issue corresponding

error logs. The user would accordingly need to skip those tables from current TDMS transfer by marking those migration objects to 'NO TRANSFER' .

Once the TDMS execution is completed ,then the user will have to explicitly transfer those tables in full using the DB import tools.

Hope this will be helpful .

Thanks,

Rajesh

Sandeep_Kumar
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The preproduction will already be upgraded to version ECC 6.0 EHP 4 while production is still on ECC 6.0 SP17 EHP 3 Is it possible to do a TDMS transport from a lower version to a higher one?

=> If your repository is same then no issues with TDMS project.

Former Member
0 Kudos

This should work, you may try it.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> This should work, you may try it.

I seriously doubt so.

EHP4 brings a lot of table extensions/appends which will fail to be transferred because the DDIC is not identical. It's even problematic to do a transfer between systems that don't have the same support package level so I would say it will not work. And even if it will work there's no guarantee that the data is consistent.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thx, I heard the same from other experts. I have put the question to SAP, but I'm pretty sure they will also say that the table differences will be a problem.

Sandeep_Kumar
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

As I already mentioned => If your repository is same then no issues with TDMS project.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As I already mentioned => If your repository is same then no issues with TDMS project.

And you think that EHP3 and EHP4 have the same repository?

Markus

Sandeep_Kumar
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

And you think that EHP3 and EHP4 have the same repository?

I never said that EHPs will obvioulsy bring lot of changes to the repository but that is something obvious .

Cheers,

Sandeep