cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution manager BI client

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am asking my self what are the pros and cons of having a separate BI client, other than the solman 001 default one.

We will have a lot of systems linked to that solman, but i don't think that the BI data is huge for solman related tasks (diagnostics, ...)

Let me know if you have any major drawback to use the same 001 as the BI client for productive solman usage.

Thanks,

aidan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello to all,

Thanks for your remarks.

In our case, this solman will be used for service provider functionalities. Meaning that a big number (and increasing) of systems will be connected (we're talking initially of around 400 ABAPs, 100 Javas, 100 dual stacks, trexs and others). I'm thinking that if we can relieve the solman from the BI load, this is already going to be positive performance wise.

It isn't a problem for us to have a separate BI for SMD usage only. Since as you said, BI is going to be used more and more, i reckon that the setup that offers the best scalability will be using a separate BI system.

Thanks again,

kr,

aidan

keiji_mishima
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

More and more Solution Manager functionalities are going to use BW Cube.

(Even with solution manager 7.0, after SPs 23, or 26, several functions uses BW cube. And in 7.1 is become more.

So do not expect SMD only. Example is JSM Health Check, DVM Cockpit, BPMon Trend Analysis, BP Analytics, Test Management BW report, KPI Measurement Platform....etc And there will be several dashboards from different applications based on different BW cubes.)

I am not sure whether you have attend Expert Guided Implementtion (EGI) training that is provided SAP (you can see scheduled EGI training at service market place http://www.service.sap.com/alm-services. If you have enterprise support contract, you can take up to 5 course ). There are several EGI courses that explain how to setup different solution manager scenario.

In the SAP Expert Guided Implementtion (Basic setup), BI client topic is also covered. In the course, different possibilities (BI in the Productive SAP Solution Manager Client, BI in a Separate Client on SAP Solution Manager, BI in a Separate, Non-Productive BI System) are explained. But SAP's recommendation is BI in the Productive SAP Solution Manager Client (Same client) since this allows for simpler configuration and isolates the BI activities conducted for solution life cycle management from the data on a production BI instance.

Separate BW client is still possible, but probably you may have some difficulty on authorization management.

(Still possible but less possibility for Authorization control).

So if you are going to setup new solman, same client might be better. If already setup, hard to move BW client since BW objects are generated based on number range. (you cannot simply switch BW client. To avoid duplicated object, you need client copy to move BW client). So if you already setup, it is not nice to move BW client.

Best Regards

Keiji Mishima

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I recommend separate client as it is more secure to work only with the communication users on BI data and in my view its easier for RCA in case of any problems.

and please check Steve parks update on the below thread

[|]

Thanks,

Jansi

0 Kudos

Hi,

There is not any drawback in case of using same BW client.

From my point of view separate client for BW and for Solman stuff has advantage>

- authorizaiton for BW client , no access for other user

- in case of using SOlman for more customer, e.g. service provider, here maybe I would used original BW system and client

disadvantage

- more compliacate can create more issues

Best regards,

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Its really not gonna matter which client you use, if you have sized solman properly.

recommendation is to copy 001 client and use separate client.

Regards,

Shyam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Aidan,

If you are thinking about Customer specific BW reporting then you can copy 001 to any client and use it in Solman.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/Basis/BIReportingforSolutionManagerEWA_ConfigGuide

Regards

Shailesh Mamidwar

Edited by: Shailesh Mamidwar on May 5, 2011 12:10 AM