cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports 2011 Upgrade: Installation issue: Product Keycode not valid

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am upgrading from Crystal Reports XI Developer edition to Crystal Reports 2011. I purchased the upgrade via the opening page of Crystal XI, and received a keycode from Digital River. I was able to download the installer .exe and extract it, but when I attempt to register the product, using the keycode provided, I receive an error message:

Error:

The Product keycode is not valid. INS00140

You cannot proceed without filling out the required fields.

I have attempted every combination of my user-name and company name that I can think of, and have double, triple and quadruple checked the keycode entry is correct (copied and pasted from the email), but I'm unable to complete the installation.

I've tried contacting the customer support line at Business Objects online store, which referred me to the SAP support line, which referred me to http://www.support.sap.com, which won't allow me to register because I don't have a customer number.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

So, how do I get past this point?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello together,

i have the same issue INS00140 with the product key.

CRW2011 BETA - downloaded from: downloads.businessobjects.com.....51040485.exe

My installation-enviroment:

- Windows XP SP3

- SAP CRW XI (licensed)

- SAP CRW 2008 SP3 (licensed)

- SAP Interactive Analysis trial

- SAP Xcelsius trial

On another PC the installation of CRW2011 is running fine. There is only CRW 2008 installed.

Best regards

Andreas Woerner

-SysTek GmbH-

Former Member
0 Kudos

The 'TeleSales Team' can be reached at 888 866 2366

Here's what I've learned so far:

1) It is not the installer. The original installer is the same size and CRC32 as the 'updated' installer. In addition the original installer works on a different computer.

2) It installs fine on a Windows 7 Pro box with no pre-existing installation of Crystal Reports XI.

3) Uninstalling Crystal Reports XI from the first box does not resolve the issue.

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We have reproduced the issue internally at SAP and our testing team is now working on isolating the cause. Based on observation of the environments where the issue has been seen, I'm guessing it's linked to a previous version of Xcelsius being installed before attempting to install CR 2011.

I'll update this thread based on the updates from the testing team.

Coy

0 Kudos

Hi Coy,

In case it helps in troubleshooting, I have never downloaded nor used XCelsius. I am running Win XP SP3 and have Crystal Reports SP2 and SP3 installed on my machine.

Drew

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Drew. It definitely helps. I'll keep everyone updated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi guys,

see the SAP Knowledge Base Article

1578658 - BI 4.0 - Dashboard Design - Temporary License Key is not working. Error: "The keycode you entered is not valid. Please try again. INS00140"

Resolution

Search the machine for all local instances of "Cryptocme2.dll" (to see what other software may be using it)

Rename the *.dll extension of the identified cryptocme2.dll files, using *.OLD (for example)

Reboot machine

Log on as Admin account

Run the installation again

-> the installation will pass the keycode check

Rename cryptocme2.old files back to cryptocme2.dll

caveat you may find that Adobe Acrobat Reader no longer works.

though it didnt work for my installation of dashboard 4.0 (running win xp, with previously installed version of xcelsius 2008 and without - after deinstallation - same result)

0 Kudos

Hi Jacek,

I gave that a try and I got the same error message result. I made sure to check hidden files and folders and I also ran tasklist /m cryptocme2.dll at the command prompt to ensure that that file wasn't in use anywhere and it wasn't. I tried rebooting and double-checked that that .dll wasn't in use or had been created by another process and I confirmed that it was not.

Are there any references to that .dll that I should delete from the registry that may still exist, causing this problem? Thank you much for your work on this as this is pretty frustrating.

Drew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Drew,

have a look at the story at

http://tickett.wordpress.com/2011/05/07/crystal-reports-2011-installation/

there is some bug in the isKeyCodeValid.exe file

absolutely this should be corrected by SAP or whoever responsible. the solution that you can find in the above link may be just a workaround. it worked to me (replacing the exe file - .net 4 must be installed).

perhaps you can write a message to the author of the file, he can send it to you

good luck

jacek

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello all.

We believe that we have identified the problem.

This should only be affecting Windows XP 32-bit machines that have KB2467175 installed. The removal of KB2467175 resolves the issue.

Can one (or some) of you please try this and update the thread with your results?

Regards,

Coy

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

FYI - [Link to the Microsoft KB|http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=2467175].

Former Member
0 Kudos

This has resolved the issue in my environment. Thank you, Coy!

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Excellent! Thank you for the quick testing Bill.

0 Kudos

Removal of that KB worked for me as well. Thank you guys very much for finding that solution; much appreciated!

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just an FYI for everyone:

This issue will be resolved in the GA of SAP Crystal Reports 2011. At that time, you can re-install the patch that you had to remove in order to install the product.

Coy

0 Kudos

Will the GA release feature the ability to export reports as .xlsx and .docx formats?

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The current release supports exporting to XLSX via the "Microsoft Excel Workbook Data-only" export option. As such, GA will also support this feature.

We will not provide the ability to export to DOCX. You can request the feature @ [Idea Place|https://cw.sdn.sap.com/cw/community/ideas/businessanalytics/crystalreports].

Coy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I've just bought the upgrade a couple of days ago and have exactly the same problem. I have no instances of Cryptocme2.dll installed and can find no trace of KB2467175.

If there's a patch, can you please tell me how to obtain it?

Thanks

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Colin,

I'm checking with the development team to see if this can be caused by the existence of any other MSFT KBs. I'll get back to you shortly. In the meantime, can you post the C++ Redistributable related installs on your machine?

Regards,

Coy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Coy,

I don't think I have any C++ Redistributable installs, I have version XI of Crystal installed though.

Regards

Colin

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Colin,

Can you check in your Add/Remove Programs for the following MSFT installs?

KB2467175

KB2467174

KB2467173

If any of them are installed, please remove them and try installing CR 2011.

Regards,

Coy

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have uninstalled KB2467175 and KB2467174, but I still get the same Error message. What else could be the problem? I have installed a couple of Hiotfixes for Visual C++ Standard 2010 Beta.

Furthermore, I have installed Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 and Crystal Reports Update Service.

Before I tried to install Crystal Reports 2011 I had installed Crystal Reports for Visual Studio 2010.

May be there any other software which causes the error?

Any help is appreciated.

Edited by: Martin Andel on Jun 8, 2011 10:35 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I've removed KB2467174 and KB2467174 but the problem remains, same error message.

Regards

Colin

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Colin and Martin,

Can you attach screenshots showing the list of applications that you have installed and the error that you are getting?

Regards,

Coy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Coy,

I can't seem paste a screenshot here and I can't see how to attach a file?

I've now removed the MS files from 2 laptops and on one I've got the same error message, whilst on the other I now get a "Runtime Error!" and on clicking ok the installation process ends.

Do you have an email address where I can send the screenshots

Regards

Colin

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, the forum won't let me include my address. You should be able to see it by clicking on my name in the forums. This will take you to my business card which should show my address.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have now sent screenshots direct to your address.

Colin

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The solution doesnt seem to work as well for me. i m using Vista instead of Windows XP

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you locate the logfile from your installation and reply with it in attachment? If you are not comfortable attaching it to the forum, feel free to send it to me directly. The logfile should be located in the %TEMP% directory of your desktop.

Coy

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Quick update for anyone who may still be experiencing issues with installing CR 2011.

If you are installing on a Windows XP OS, then the first thing to try is removing the MSFT KBs mentioned earlier in this thread. Those KBs have a conflict with the CR 2011 installation package. This issue will be resolved when CR 2011 becomes generally available.

If that does not work or you are installing on a different OS, then the first thing to check is whether you are entering your license key using all uppercase letters. There is an issue with the installer where it will not recognize the key if you are using lowercase letters. This will be resolved in the first minor release.

If that does not work and you are installing on a machine that also has Dashboard Design or Presentation Design 2011 installed alongside CR 2011, then you should check the value of the "path" setting at the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SAP BusinessObjects\Suite XI 4.0\SharedTools\keydecoder.dll

The "path" value for this registry key should be similar to "C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win64_x64\keydecoder.dll". In some cases, the OS folder (e.g., win64_x64) is missing from the path and needs to be added in again.

If none of these suggestions help to resolve the issue, then please gather up the installation logs from the %TEMP% directory and send them over for review.

Regards,

Coy

Product Owner - SAP Crystal Reports

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm still getting the INS00140 keycode error. I've already tried all the previous solutions and still not working... also checked my C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\temp for a log file but I dont see any, I'm running XP OS.

Event Viewer Info:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: SideBySide

Event Category: None

Event ID: 59

Date: 6/21/2011

Time: 12:38:09 PM

User: N/A

Computer:

Description:

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\crystal_2011\DATA_UNITS\CrystalReports\dunit\product.crystalreports-4.0-core-32\actions\BCM-4-0.dll. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

Edited by: alonso.brenes on Jun 21, 2011 8:55 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm also getting the INS00140 keycode error. I've tried renaming Cryptocme2.dll in the Adobe Reader folderand rebooting but installation still fails. KB2467175 has never been installed on my machine. My event log gives the same error as above:

Generate Activation Context failed for C:\Download\CrystalReports2011\53005711\DATA_UNITS\CrystalReports\dunit\product.crystalreports-4.0-core-32\actions\BCM-4-0.dll. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.

My situation is a little different in that at one point I did successfully install CR 2011. I expected it (perhaps naively) to include the .NET support. After discovering it didn't I then uninstalled it to install CR.NET for Visual Studio 2010 first. That installed successfully. Then when I tried reinstalling CR2011 I get this INS00140 keycode failure.

I've contacted SAP support but the best they've done is to send me to this thread.

I did find the folder where the logs are kept in temp. 2 files: setupengine.log (232kb) and setupexe.log (1kb). setupengine.log contains the following lines which look pertinent:

06:52:33.474 [run_external_executable] cmdLine: "C:\Download\CrystalReports2011\53005711\DATA_UNITS\CrystalReports\dunit\product.crystalreports-4.0-core-32\actions
isKeyCodeValid.exe" -keycode ******** -version 60 -property XC.EnableAddOn

06:52:33.693 [run_external_executable] Exit code: -1072365566

06:52:33.693 [validate_ProductKey]keyTypes [XC.EnableAddOn] is bad

06:52:33.693 Validation Failed for : ProductKey

Looks like the workaround mentioned earlier about providing a hacked version of IsKeyCodeValid.exe might be on the right track... I hate to hack code like that though. Will the final installation still be valid?

This editor is hard to use... The business end of the call to the exe has a double backslash in my log file:

DATA_UNITS\CrystalReports\dunit\product.crystalreports-4.0-core-32\actions
isKeyCodeValid.exe

the double-\ is just after actions and just before isKeyCodeValid.exe (\actions
isKeyCodeValid.exe) but when I save this it doesn't seem to show the double-\... but it's there in the log file.

Anyway, that makes me suspect that there's a bug in the calling code...

Edited by: dwyche on Jun 22, 2011 1:12 PM

I see now that the editor converts the double-\ to a line break... probably an escape sequence I don't understand. I've tried to get this to work with backslashes but the editor refuses to display a double-\ converting to forward slashes for clarity it would be:

.../actions//isKeyCodeValid.exe

Edited by: dwyche on Jun 22, 2011 1:27 PM

final edit... the double-\ must be a red-herring. I decided to go ahead with the isKeycodeValid hack mentioned in a sub-thread above. I used VS 2010 to rig up a simple 'Return 1' exe and the installation is now working fine.

Edited by: dwyche on Jun 22, 2011 1:48 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I tried with the .exe hack before... but I was using ExitCode = 1 in a c# console app. I just needed to change that to Return 1!!

Thank you very much

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I've created a sticky thread where I'm tracking all resolutions found by the SAP teams. Please try these resolutions first. If no luck, then gather the details specified in the sticky thread and send them over.

http://forums.sdn.sap.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1981755&tstart=0

Regards,

Coy

0 Kudos

Coy, can I ask when all these issues with the "The Product Keycode is not valid INS00140." errors are going to resolved by releasing a service patch? as we've had endless amount of customers of who have had issues installing Crystal Reports 2011. Even with the latest SP02.

Be good to know when SP03 or a Service Pack is released for it.

Thanks

Rebecca Middleton

DSCallards Ltd

0 Kudos

This has resolved the issue. Thank you very much, Coy!

One Tip:

First i search for this KB in the Windows XP Updates/Hotfixes, and doesn't found it.

In my environment the KB from microsoft was installed under Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributale.

Regards

Andreas

-SysTek GmbH-

Edited by: A. Woerner on May 13, 2011 7:12 AM

former_member583013
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bill,

FYI, Edwin just engaged me on the email thread with you. Please that email thread for a few questions:

For everyone else that may encounter this issue, I'd like to know:

1. Are you installing CR 2011 on the same machine as another installation of CR (e.g., CR 2008 or CR XI)?

2. Where did you download CR 2011?

I'll update this thread after doing some testing.

Regards,

Coy

Product Owner Crystal Reports

0 Kudos

The very same thing is happening to me. I've done everything you tried as well. Extremely frustrating. If I find a solution first I'll be sure to post it. I noticed in my add/remove programs panel that I have 2 separate installations listed for 2008; SP2 and SP3. I wonder if having both is confusing the installer.... I"m thinking about removing the SP2 but I worry that it will knock some stuff out of the registry that will then leave me without even 2008 SP3.