cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start SAP on standby database?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have configured Oracle DG on my SAP environment - Oracle 10.2.0.5 , SAP ECC on Windows.

My client wants to test if SAP could start on standby without shutting down Production environment. So, I stop log shipment, and open database on standby.

Database is up and running but SAP could not start. When I checked the OPS$ hostname refers to production and no OPS$ for standby system created. Example :

Production OPS$ : OPS$abc\<SID>adm (OPS$abc\PRDadm)

Standby OPS$ : OPS$def\<SID>adm (OPS$def\PRDadm)

I want to create a new OPS$ reffering to my standby database but its on READ mode. So, I change it to READ WRITE mode, however error occur saying that its a physical standby and no changes allowed.

Anyone had this before? Appreciate any suggestion/advice.

Thanks,

IA

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The process to start SAP on DR same as your primary (If you have installed SAP instance and configured all the profiles).

First you make sure that you have installed SAP Application on DR, and maintained correct profile parameters.

During switch over (Test) what you have to perform are -- First break the connectivity by disablilng the second archive log destnation on primary > Recover DR database with available archivelogs > Open the database by switching over it to primary > Start SAP aplicaiton on it

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks. Problem is now resolved.

I edited the init profiles in DR, and now SAP works file.

We are running on different Windows version, Windows 2008 (PRD) could not be used to start SAP on Windows 2003 (DR).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear

Nick Loy,

Can you please share documents how to start SAP DR with complete the procedure or steps pre and post both for the same.

it will have great help for us.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

This link might help you

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70ehp1/Helpdata/EN/08/5744ab4ae611d1894f0000e829fbbd/content.htm

If the two database hosts do not form a cluster the effects on application hosts vary, depending on where they run:

· All application hosts run external to the two database hosts

After failure, all application hosts have to be restarted using a different profile to connect to the standby database. It is sufficient to set the profile parameter SAPDBHOSTto point to the new database host.

· SAP CI (central instance, including enqueue and message service) runs on the same host as the production database

If the database fails, both database and CI are restarted on the standby database host. At the very least, SAPDBHOST has to be different in the profile of the CI. You need to change several parameters in the profiles of all external application hosts and these have to be restarted.

Regards

Vinod