cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors

Former Member
0 Kudos

I found a problem with oracle database upgrade . After upgrading DB with production instance and switchover and Oracle fail to apply certain archivelog files in DR instance.

Below is the problem description:

Database with physical standby is upgraded from 10.2.0.4 to 11.2.0.2.

The upgrade steps are:

1. Suspend dataguard replication: e.g. ALTER SYSTEM SET LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_2=DEFER;

2. Shutdown physical standby instance

3. Upgrade DB in primary instance

4. Restart physical standby instance with new 11gR2 ORACLE_HOME

5. Resume dataguard replication: e.g. ALTER SYSTEM SET LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_2=ENABLE;

However, I get a problem when I try to perform switchover, because it failed to apply archivelog.

Error in standby instance:

=================

(1) ALTER DATABASE COMMIT TO SWITCHOVER TO PRIMARY;

return:

ORA-16139: media recovery required

(2) alter database recover managed standby database finish;

return:

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-00283: recovery session canceled due to errors

ORA-00331: log version 11.2.0.0.0 incompatible with ORACLE version 10.2.0.0.0

ORA-00334: archived log: '/oracle/M3P/dbexe/11202/dbs/arch1_439_742671080.dbf'

Please help if anyone has any clue on this,

Al Mamun

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

later on at the end of DBUA the parameter "compatible" is switched to 11.2.0.

Logs writen then will not be recoverable with a compatible parameter that is lower.

So what is "compatible" on your standby set to?

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

Please check the Note 598470 - Error due to "compatible" parameter.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks , the problem got solved with SAP Note 598470 , thanks Orkun Gedik and Volker Borowski for both of your contribution

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mamun,

I faced with the same scenario approximately two years, ago. When I faced your this problem, I changed the compatible parameter to the old version. After I applied the offline redolog files, respectfully, I restored the compatible parameter, back. After a while, during our disaster scenario testing phases, we were able to open the system without any problem, but in the test face we found out that "Outbound Delivery" records and some other related documents have been corrupted. After a carrefully investigation and checks, I found out that those offline redolog files couldn't be imported correctly and corrupted the database inconsistency.

Because of this, regarding my experiences, I recommended you, at my first message that you should restore the DR site from the beginning of it. This is because, I believe that you don't want to face with a bad surprise when you take your disaster system to productive.

All in all, changing "compatible" parameter is technically works, but may be corrupt the integrity.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mamun,

This offline redolog file has been created, when the database version was Oracle 10g. So, the system is not be able to import this file into Oracle 11. Under this circumstance, I recommend that you restore productive database to the standby system and perform required DR configuration steps, from the beginning if it.

Please note that offline redolog files will not be modified during the Oracle upgrade.

I hope that I clarified the issue.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik