cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What will happen if oracle listener is stopped and started again.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

Please suggest What will happen if oracle listener is stopped and started again on a running SAP System ?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lakhbir,

What will happen is that, all SAP work processes will loose connection to the database.

If any active jobs(background jobs, updates, insert to database ) are running, they may fail. All the work processes will go to a re-connect state.

( There are few notes on WP reconnect which you can check and read about)

DB Reconnect Parameters - SAP High Availability - SAP Library

Application will be running but users will not be able to do any activity or may not be able to login at all and may get errors  like ( No connect to database possible)

As soon as you start the listener process again , all the work processes will connect to the database again.

This is because the WPs will keep on trying to connect to database at regular interval and as soon as the connection is available they will re-connect.

You do not have to restart any work process manually in SM50 or anywhere else as this feature is enabled by default until disabled manually.

Thanks

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Akhil,

Application server does not stop, and continue to the run, but new requests cannot be handled by the system, during the listener is not running.

For the instance, when a dialog workprocess is killed by the administrator on SM50, it will not be started automatically and face with the listener error.

When you start the listener and restart the workprocess again, it will be connected to the database and will be started, successfully.

I hope that I clarified the issue.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

Thanks for your suggestion.

This is really helpful for me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Orkun,

Can you tell me what type of process will be stopped when listener is not working with example.