cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why use SAP TAO to automate test scripts instead of QTP only?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi -

I am currently researching on SAP TAO and is wondering what are its benefits if it is used instead of QTP alone in automating test scripts. As per my understanding, if I use SAP TAO as my automator, I need to have QTP, SOLMAN, SAP QC (with BPT module) installed, which looks to me as costly - buying all of those while if I use QTP as my automator, I will just buy QTP.

Can you help me see what will be the benefits (in terms of cost, time, learning curve, and resource capacity) if I used SAP TAO instead as my automator?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

In theory, TAO allows you to create test automation without any programming - but more likely by assembling predifined test "component" that are delivered with TAO, that linked together will create your business process -

With QTP you start from scratch, from developing your framework, writing some re-usable, parameterized scripts, etc.. it takes time and a very specific skill. Maintenace with QTP is more expensive.

However TAO have a couple of weakness, it still sit on top of QTP, so if you need additional component, you need to write some QTP, it only covers SAP GUI, so for the rest you also need to use QTP or other tool and yes it does require a long list of licenses that can create a cost issue.

There are also other solution on the market that can do a perfect job, look around.

Gilles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The main disadvantage i feel is QTP has to be executed locally.

even for the testing automation everyone is using QC along with QTP.

Also the main advantage in TAO is

there is no requirement to write the code for the automation, as we do recording in ECATT, we can create reusable components which will be transaferred to QC.

QC helps in cenralized test execution of the test scripts.

Also, now solman is being is most customers for the project management where we maintain all the BPML .

so all the business scenarios can be easily synchronized tiwh QC.

So based on all these advantages and full test automation only we are using all these.

i hope it helps.

Thanks,

Subhashini.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Subhashini,

Thanks for your inputs. I have follow-up questions though.

- Is QTP need not connect to the QTP server (for concurrent licensed) if TAO will execute a script? I read that to run scripts in TAO it uses QTP as its engine for the execution.

There is no requirement to write the code for the automation

- How do you enhance the automated script created by TAO? Like if I want to parameterize the values I will enter in SAP and how do I make the the scripts reusable?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Adding to her comments, QTP is a first generation record and reply but coming to SAP TAO is a third generation test acceleration. what does that means is

If use QTP, it's required many man hours to record and built each script, high ongoing maintenance and it's required programming.

Coming to SAP TAO, you have pre-built test components for SAP, automatically scans the SAP metadata to generate all necessary components, eliminate record / reply activities, it's easy to develop, cost effective , it's reduce ur ongoing maintenance etc...

Please see my comments below:

- Is QTP need not connect to the QTP server (for concurrent licensed) if TAO will execute a script? I read that to run scripts in TAO it uses QTP as its engine for the execution.

-

You need to have QTP to execute TAO script, because TAO pre-built components are built in QTP. even it's concurrent or seat , you should have a QTP in order to execute TAO scripts.

There is no requirement to write the code for the automation

- How do you enhance the automated script created by TAO? Like if I want to parameterize the values I will enter in SAP and how do I make the the scripts reusable

-

Using TAO, you can built your script based on exis. components and you can record a transaction code using TAO. Rem. while it's recording or building a script, when you launch script opens in QTP only. but most of the time you do not enhance ur TAO scripts and that too TAO standard components you will never touch most of the time.

Parameterization, will do in excelsheet so you can pass as many values into the sheet. and in run-time u will pass no of iterations.

See if it helps, if not , let me know if you have any questions.

-Ram