Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI Archiving

former_member335553
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Could anyone please let me know certain info on archiving

1. We have the archive files at /sapmnt/systemname/global and a weekly job for the same. do we get a delta update of the file for each run or it would contain all messages set to 'arch' status from the scheduled start date?

2. I am unable to read my archive file in archive administration with archiving object BC_XMB .error message 'could not find file in archive " . What am I missing here ?

3. As well as I have incomplete archive sessions for some days for I activated the archive infostructure ..When I checked back for the status /infostructure , I get a message " there are no analyzable archives' .How to make the sessions activated

4. Finally even then the retention period is crossed and I delete the archive file , I can still see the messages in Moni ..Unclear what exaclty is the requirement for the archive file at OS level ?

Sorry to bother with so many questions ..i have gone through most of the blogs for archiving

Thanks

Anusha

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anusha,

1. We have the archive files at /sapmnt/systemname/global and a weekly job for the same. do we get a delta update of the file for each run or it would contain all messages set to 'arch' status from the scheduled start date?

ans. -> It will contain all the msgs that are set to archive status

2. I am unable to read my archive file in archive administration with archiving object BC_XMB .error message 'could not find file in archive " . What am I missing here ?

try out this - Goto SXMB_ADM then goto schedule archving jobs --> Archive management -->Information System

>Customizing->Archive Infostrcure for Object "BC_XMB" and activate it thru Activate button.

after this go back and click Status > Status per Infostructure-> Select the object SAP_BC_XMB and click Fill Structures

Now run it in background.after background job done. read archive messages again.

3. As well as I have incomplete archive sessions for some days for I activated the archive infostructure ..When I checked back for the status /infostructure , I get a message " there are no analyzable archives' .How to make the sessions activated

4. Finally even then the retention period is crossed and I delete the archive file , I can still see the messages in Moni ..Unclear what exaclty is the requirement for the archive file at OS level ?

ans --->

In an archiving procedure ,there must be 2 jobs within it that are executed to complete the process of archiving.

one for writing messages to the archive and the other for deleting the archived messages

its a totally different task that corresponds to the procedure for deleting messages.

It is common for the job that write messages to be scheduled, but the delete job (for the archiving) often gets missed. You can confirm this by looking in the SM37 job selection screen and look for the following two jobs:

ARV_BC_XMB_WRP<date> (writing to archive)

ARV_BC_XMB_DEL<date> (deletion of archived XML messages)

If you don't have the deletion running or completing succesfully, then there is the problem. These get spawned from the main archiving job (SAP_BC_XMB_ARCHIVE<CLIENT>) you schedule from SXMB_ADM -->Schedule Archiving Job.

To read the archived XML messages, the archiving infostructure SAP_BC_XMB has to be activated.

More information on http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2004/helpdata/en/0e/80553b4d53273de10000000a114084/content.htm

you can also try this out --->SXMB_SARA ->Information System->Status--->enter "BC_XMB" in the Archiving Object field

after this click Status Per Archive" /Status Per Infostructure and then press Fill structure button.

Tha concept of archving is that after the writing phase completes,deletion phase should also complete at any rate.

This thing is not possible because for the deleted archive files there no standard way to erase the incomplete archive run in management overview in SARA.

Hope this helps you

Regards,

rohit