cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decentralised Warehouse Management - Interface query

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Currently we are using a third party system (AS 400) for warehouse activities as a stand alone system.

The transfer of data between this system and SAP system (ECC6) happens through PI interface.

We are now thinking of setting up a Decentralized warehouse in ECC system but all the warehouse activities still happens in the legacy system. The idea is to make use of the standard functionalities of DWM so that the number of developments can be reduced.

The warehouse activities in Legacy system includes Inbound, outbound process, shipment, transportation management, internal processes etc.

Please let me know if setting up of a DWM in ECC will be of any help in this case.

PS: EWM will be used in future but for the time being the Legacy system is continued to be used as it caters to all the functionalities.

Regards,

Ramachandra DN

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unless you want to run the internal warehouse processes (putaway's, picking, cycle counting, etc) via DWM I do not see a value add in enabling dual systems. Either you run the transportation part in legacy and transition the internal warehouse processes to DWM or use ECC transportation in conjunction with ECC WM/DWM and retire legacy, or use ECC transportation (or, SAP TM) and EWM and retire legacy.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is now clear about the concept of Decentralised warehouse management. Thanks to both of you for your inputs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree. With setting up a DWM system in your ECC you are just going to complicate the SAP part more when running the legacy system as well. Remember that without DWM (or WM) together you need to balance just IM stock to the legacy system, but with DWM (or WM), you need to balance it down to the bin level...I won't suggest this option. Either go SAP WM and other related components (TM) or stay with AS400.

Regards,

Hein

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hein,

Your response was very helpful. But I wanted to know, is it possible to set up the current 3 rd party system (AS 400) where all warehouse activites are being performed as a decentralised warehouse in ECC? If so will it have any advantages compared to the existing scenario?

Your reply would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Firstly, what do you mean with: "where all warehouse activites are being performed as a decentralised warehouse in ECC". Meaning SAP?

You get diffrent setup scenario's:

1. SAP ERP ECC on one server with SAP WM on the same server - CENTRAL setup

2. SAP ERP ECC on one server with SAP WM ECC on another server linked via ALE - DECENTRAL setup

3. SAP ERP ECC on one server linked with AS400 for example on it's own server - DECENTRAL setup with 3rd party solution also interfaced with ALE, BUT ALL WM transactions / activities are performed in AS400 and GR's / GI's are posted back to ERP via bapi's / idocs.

Also, should you setup the SAP decentral WM linked to ERP ECC and keep AS400 live, then what system is responsible for what part of your stock? Some of the activities are on DWM and the other on AS400...not good. The thing is that SAP with it's dectralized WM scenario is so excellent integrated, that to take parts of it out to integrate to a 3rd party system and keep parts inside of SAP will only create problems down the processing line.

Say you use TRM on the SAP dectralized server then you will need a TO to create a task for the resources to execute via RF. To create the TO you would need inbound or outbound deliveries and thus to process the task you need stock in a ST/bin combination. Why still keep AS400 live then OR why use SAP WM at all?

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hein

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Hein for your detailed explanation.

Iam talking about the 3rd scenario that you mentioned.

Currently all warehouse master data is maintained in AS400 and all warehouse activities/processes like Inbound, outbound/internal processes are executed in AS400. For example, for inbound process, the inbound delivery is created in ECC system and then transferred to AS400 system where it is used for putaway to the final bin. Similarly for outbound processes, outbound deliveries/shipments are created in ECC and the same is transferred to the AS400 system where the picking is done.

To summarize, the relevant documents like inbound/outbound deliveries are created in ECC with which further Warehouse activities (Put away/picking etc) is carried out in AS 400 system.

Now there are lot of Z developments/messages developed for transferring the data from ECC to As400.

What Iam interested is if I set up the warehouse which is currently present in AS400 as a Decentralised warehouse, can we make use of the standard interface functionalities so that we can reduce the Z developments. Please note that even if we set up a DWM, the warehouse activites like Put away/picking etc still happen in AS400.

But by setting up of this, will it be of any use in terms of using the standard interface functionalities?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Regards,

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

So the DWM system is going to be on SAP and you still want to interface to AS400? Why? Yes you won't need to use the z-transactions to interface to SAP, but you will still need them to interface to AS400. What I understand from you is that you want to setup AS400 as a SAP decentralized WH. Am I correct, but then at the same time continue to use AS400? With this you are just duplicating work: to SAP DWM with standard interfaces and to AS400 with the z-interfaces.

Hein

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, the DWM system is on SAP and still interfaced with AS400. We still need AS400 because of the complexities involved in the inbound and outbound processes which requires huge developments in standard SAP.

You are right, we want to set up the warehouse number that currently exists in AS400 as decentralised warehouses in SAP. but for the above reason, we will still continue to use AS400.

The important thing that we are looking at is by setting up like this, will there be any advantages in terms of making use of the standard interface features.

Let me explain little more:

Current scenario: No warehouse number in SAP. Warehouse number and warehouse master data in AS400. PI interface is used for the transfer of data like inbound/oubound deliveries etc as explained in my previous post. We are using AS400 because of the functionalities already built in which is not available in SAP unless we do make lot of customisation (Z development).

Scenario we are thinking of: Set up the warehouse numbers that currently exist in AS400 in SAP as DWM. The rest of the things remain same. Warehouse activites still continue to be performed in AS 400.

Will it make our life any easier by this set up against the existing set up?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I cannot see that by setting up DWM in SAP your live is going to be easier for you are still keeping the interfaces to AS400. By setting up the WH's in SAP you probably will need to adjust your interfaces (maybe?). Have you investigated any SAP WM (DWM) functionality to measure it up with AS400? Are you sure that SAP cannot provide a solution?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hien,

We have made the detailed analysis and infact a decision has been taken to go ahead with SAP EWM. But that will be done some time later. For the time being, we are thinking of this DWM.

As you mentioned, we are mainly looking from the interface perspective as to whether we can use more of standard interface features by using DWM compared to the current set up.

If you have any such documents which can throw some light on to this then it will be great.

Regards,

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hein,

I will leave at it here and see what can be done. Thanks a lot for your time and your valuable suggestions. Hope to be in touch with you for any interesting issue related to WM

Regards,

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

It's a pleasure. See my business card if you want to send some mails.

Cheers,

Hein