cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for Remote Client Copy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I have SAP Production Database server of Size 350 GB. Four years back we shifted to new production client after abandoning old client due to some reasons after using it for 3 years. I mean there is a lot of data on my other (non-Production) clients on Production.

I want to perform client copy with complete data and custiomization from Production client to QA server. Is it possible to know size of data being copied in QA client so that I can plan and add data files on QA database accordingly

Please also recommend it is technically OK to perform remote client copy if data in client to be copied could be above 200 GB.

Best Regards

Waqas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sir

Use the report RSTABLESIZE and RSSPACECHECK reports for finding the size of the clients.

Also kindly refer to 118823 note for client size.

You can do the remote client copy if you are on same LAN so it can be faster over Wide Area Network its not suggested its better to use export of client then import.

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

It could still work as I have done this previously. However, do you see any reasons why you cannot do a system refresh instead of this.

I first suggest you do a test run to see if it reports any error messagesfor the actual run. Make sure you select the option TEST run. It approximately gives you the required space though sometimes this is much lesser in the actual run.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have run resource check (TEST client copy) and it gave me result in approx 5 hrs that 150 GB space is required to perform client copy from Production to QAS. I am worried about time remote client copy will take to complete. ALthough we have SUN V880 machine with 4 processors and 8 GB RAM and V440 machine as QAS. Both machines are on single switch LAN but I dont think client copy will finish in even 72 hours. I cannot buy more than 72 hours from my management.

Please tell me your experiences with huge remote client copies. Please note that our Production server will not act as Production serrver for next 3 days.

Please reply urgently.

Regards

Waqas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think u need system copy because client copy could not right for that

Regards

Shubh

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would prefer to go with Client export/import method for 150GB data if i need to transfer. Remote client copy does have some draw backs. You will have to dependen on both system and during data transfer any of one goes down then it will be cancel. So best option is to go with expor/import.

Regards,

Subhash

former_member205110
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Salaam Waqas

I would ask you to see the sapnote: 489690: Copying Large Production Clients.

Regards,

Imran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your feedbacks

Can you please provide me the steps to perform client export / import.

Also by reading notes it gave me idea that even client import export will be very time consuming i.e even more than client copy becuase it uses single work process.

How can I use parallel processes to speed up the copy.

Regards

Edited by: Waqas Ahmed on Jun 13, 2011 5:36 PM

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you will search on Google you will find how to export and import the client. To increase the parallel work process you should check this documet.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/e8/df959834ac11d586f90000e82013e8/content.htm

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

If I go for Homogenous System copy (Database copy), in this case

Existing SAPSID on my QA server is LTQ and it will remain LTQ but

Exisiting DBSID (which is also LTQ) will be changed to SD1 (my production dbsid/dbname)

Now to make SAP system work on my QA server should I have to change DBSID to LTQ or should I have to adjust profiles only to enable SAP system to connect new database.

Since I am doing all this to have production data in my QA Server to perform meaningful testing of changes before transporting on Production, kindly tell me changes I have to perform to re-configure STMS.

Kindly guide or recommend me step by step document to perform this activity.

Regards

Waqas

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not sure why you are doing the Database restore for 150GB of client only. I have used client Export/import method for 360GB client and it's been comepleted successfully.

Existing SAPSID on my QA server is LTQ and it will remain LTQ but
Exisiting DBSID (which is also LTQ) will be changed to SD1 (my production dbsid/dbname)
Now to make SAP system work on my QA server should I have to change DBSID to LTQ or should I have to adjust profiles only to enable SAP system to connect new database
Since I am doing all this to have production data in my QA Server to perform meaningful testing of changes before transporting on Production, kindly tell me changes I have to perform to re-configure STMS.
Kindly guide or recommend me step by step document to perform this activity.

In that case just read the Homogeneous System copy guide carefully which is available on Service market Place based on your OS and Database. You have to do the Pre and Post installation steps if you will go for restore.

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Subhash,

Yes you are right that client import export end successfully but I am worried about time it takes as I do not have time more than 4 days, and by reading certain sapnotes it looks that certain import export could take weeks.

What was you experience in terms of time with import export with above 300 GB client data, I have mentioned above my hardware environemnt too. Thanks for your replies.

Regards

Waqas

Edited by: Waqas Ahmed on Jun 14, 2011 12:49 PM

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Waqas,

I had the same setup and it was on Vmware. I had 3 largest tables which i excluded from the Client export and i included those tables on Transport request manually and rest all i have done through export/import. I was able to complete on 2 days. I increased the Parallel work process to 8 during import. and after that i imported those three largest table.

Regards,

Subhash

Former Member
0 Kudos

Subhash,

By paralled processing do you mean that from configuring server group on source client via SM59.

I have 4 CPU Prod machine (source client) on which in SM59 -> RFC Group there are values as below

Server group parallel_generators

Instance sapserver_LT1_00

Activated (0 or 1) 1

Max. requests in queue 5

Max. no. of logons 90

Max. disp. of own logon 25

Max. no. of WPs used 75

Min. no. of free WPs 1

Max. no. of comm. entri 90

Max. wait time 15

is there something i need to configure parallel processing before exporting client. Is there any parameter in RZ10 profiles? what things needed to be checked on Prod and QA server. Currently I have 16 Dialog Work processors on Prod server from which i want to export source client to QA server.

Regards

Waqas

former_member185031
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Have a look on this Note. Also make sure you have latest R3trans and TP tool.

SAP Note 1127194 - R3trans import with parallel processes

Regards,

Subhash