cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 9i to 10g (32-bit to 64 bit) + SAP ECC 5 (32-bit to 64-bit)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

We have a following setup

1) 32-bit Windows 2003 Server

2) 32-bit Oracle 9i DB software

3) 32-bit ECC 5 Software

Now we have to perform the following things

1) Move to 64-bit Server

2) Move to 64-bit Windows 2003 Server

2) Upgrade Oracle from 9i to 10g Software which again should be 64-bit

3) Upgrade SAP ECC 5 from 32-bit to 64-bit Software.

I read the following SAP Notes available

SAP Note 932722 - Upgrade to Oracle 10.2 during a database copy

SAP Note 960769 - Windows: Migration from 32-bit to 64-bit (x86_64)

And other inter related SAP Notes mentioned in the above SAP Notes

I found that this process is quite complicated.

I thought of a workaround to reduce the complexity for this issue.

1) We would take a System copy(Export) of the existing D24 system using SAP Inst (Standard System Copy)

2) Install Oracle 10g 64-bit DB

3) Install Oracle patches if required

4) Start the Import of the System where it will ask for New Kernel DVD.

-

> Here i will give location of 64-bit ECC 5 kernel (640 Kernel)

My question is will this work ??

As System Export is bit independent ( 32-bit or 64-bit) so we can get the whole system in here

We will not require to do upgrade steps menioned in the SAP Note.

Since the system will ask for new Kernel , we will be providing 64-bit SAP Kernel.

Requesting you to comment on this procedure if it is appropriate or not.

Thank You.

Regards,

Victor

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

uta_hedemann
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Victor,

I had a similar project some years ago (see and made bad experiences with migrating from 9.2 (32bit) to a different windows server with Oracle 10 (64 bit) in ONE RUN. The dbua had big problems (ORA-00600), so after a several trials I ended up and solved it with a different way.

Therefore I would suggest about thinking about this way:

1) Sourcesystem: Upgrade 32-bit Oracle 9i DB software to 32-bit Oracle 10g

2) Doing homogenous systemcopy (homogeneous systemcopy, method backup/restore) on 64-bit Windows 2003 Server:

Install Targetsystem with Oracle 10g (64-Bit) on Windows 2003 (64-Bit).

See note 949116 (Oracle 10g Support on Windows on 6.40-Based SAP Systems) for changes in installation procedure due to Oracle 10g.

During systemcopy you can migrate the 32-bit DB to 64-Bit (see note 971646)

Kind regards,

Uta

P.S afterwards you should think about an upgrade to Oracle 11g on the new platfom, because:

note 1339724: As a result, the Oracle Version 10.2 is available to SAP customers as a fully supported database until the end of July 2011.

According http://service.sap.com/PAM ECC 5.0 with 6.40 EX2 Kernel supports Oracle 11g. Details should be checked (note 1398634, etc. )

Edited by: Uta Hedemann on Apr 26, 2011 7:42 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Uta,

Thank You for your quick reply, but things are not very clear for me ..

We do not want to have a downtime for the development system for which we have "acquired" a new 64-bit hardware.

So the question of upgrading "Oracle 9i(32-bit) to 10g(32-bit)" on source system is ruled out .

Will you please explain me a little bit more , if my perspective on executing this project is correct or wrong .

1) Can we have Export(SAPInst) of the D24 system which can be "bit"(32-bit/64bit) independent and also Database version (9i/10g) independent ???

2) If the above scenarios is possible then , only installing the Oracle 10g (64-bit) software should suffice along with "Importing" the D24 data(SAPInst) taken from OLD server

3)During the installation when the system ask for Kernel DVD , we can give the path of 64-bit KERNEL for ECC5 ??

Please correct me if i am fundamentally wrong !!!

I am not able to understand ,why we need to upgrade oracle 9i to 10g ?? Wont the data be mapped directly on the system where i freshly install Oracle 10g (64-bit) and do Import(SAPInst) plainly taken from current Source D24 system(32-bit SAP, 32-bit Oracle 9i software)

If the above scenario is not possible , then as mentioned by Uta , will you please tell me , how should i go about your mentioned activity , without having any DOWNTIME.

1) Should we take a complete System Copy of the D24 system ?? Mount it on a new Hardware

2)Upgrade the Oracle software from Oracle 9i to 10g (32-bit)

3)Again take a system copy using SAPInst , i will call it SYSTEM COPY2

4)Uninstall Oracle 10g(32-bit)

5)Install Oracle 10g (64-bit)

6)Perform System Import(SYSTEM COPY 2)

7)Migrate to 64-bit SAP by providing "64-bit Kernel DVD" during system copy(import).

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for too many questions..

Regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Refer to the below notes, which would be useful in clarifying your doubts.

SAP Notes: 932722,949116,960769

And also refer to the documentation at

service.sap.com/systemcopy look for homogenous system copy.

Hopefully this should clear a lot of the doubts you have.

Regards,

Vishnu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Uta,

Will you please look into my reply which was posted with reference to your reply.

I need guidance on this topic, as i have to start my work from coming friday.

Thank You for your understanding.

Regards,

Victor

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

>> 1) We would take a System copy(Export) of the existing D24 system using SAP Inst (Standard System Copy)

If you are planning to perform system copy procedure with "homogeneous database copy", you need to execute 32->64 bit conversion procedure first, at the destination system on Oracle 9i. Then, you should perform the database upgrade Oracle 9i to 10g, respectfully. All those steps should be performed before the system copy procedure.

On the other hand, if you will perform "heterogenous database copy", you will need a migration key which will provided by SAP to the migration consultants.

At this case I recommend you that you complete upgrade Oracle 10g, at the source system. Then, apply the system copy procedures with 32->64bit conversion, respectively.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Senior SAP Netweaver and Development Consultant

SAP Technical Architect

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I have a workaround , please have a look at it and suggest if it can be feasible.

1) Install Win2k3 64-bit s/w on New Hardware

2) Install Oracle 9i 64-bit software on New Hardware

3) Take Homogeneous System Copy using SAPINST, of the source system i.e (32-bit Oracle and 32-bit ECC 5)

4) Import the same into the new Hardware and start to mount the system.

5)When it will ask for SAP Kernel DVD, or any SAP Related DVD , we can provide path of 64-bit ECC 5 .

6)If all goes well, we will have 64-bit OS, 64-Bit Oracle 9i , 64-bit ECC 5 on our new Hardware.

7) Now we start with Upgrade of Oracle 9i 64-bit to Oracle 10g 64-bit.

Hence our result will be

SAP ECC 5 (64-bit) + Oracle 10g (64-bit) + OS (64-bit)

Requesting all gurus to please present your opinion as soon as possible as i have to start the project in 2 days time.

Thank You.

Regards,

Victor

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Victor,

2) Install Oracle 9i 64-bit software on New Hardware

Why not change the step 2 and Install the Oracle 10g 64-bits (or Oracle 11g, as Oracle 10g will in extended support soon, note [1339724|http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1339724]). This will eliminate your step 7.

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende