cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partition Field/Value

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi..

How do i use the "Partition Field/Value" tab in Import Manager to partition fields. Help.sap.com only specifies where it can be used.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

<u><b>Partitioning a Field by Multiple Fields/Attributes</b></u>

1. Select the field or value node you want to partion.

2. Click on the Partition Field/Value tab to make it the active tab. This tab lists all the items by which you can partition the selected node in each tree.

3. Select the items by which you want to partition the selected node

4. Click on the Add button and choose from the cascading menu: Add as Individual or Add as Combination

5. MDM partitions the selected node by the selected items either individually or simultaneously.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tanveer and Adhappan for the prompt reply.

According to the description of partitioning at help.sap.com - Partitioning enables to establish a one-one relationship between source and destination fields by splitting or combining the contents of source or destination fields as required.

But, i can partition a field into multiple fields or into a hierarchy using the 'Split into Hierarchy' or 'Split into multiple fields' option. So how is Paritioning different from splitting.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop,

<b>Splitting</b>

Splitting always happens on a single field containing multiple delimited values.

Based on the delimiter , that single field can be split into an hierarchy using Split into Hierarchy

or

can be split into multiple fields using Split into Multiple Fields, each containing a single value.

<b>Partitioning</b>

By contrast, partitioning starts with multiple fields, each containing a single value, and it can be combined into a single field to form a hierarchy, which is called Nested Partition

or

it can be combined into a single field containing multiple delimited values,which is called Combined Partition.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop,

Partition Example:

As I said in my previous post, it always happens on multiple fields.

Lets say you have a source files, which has data as follows.

<u>FIELD_1|FIELD_2|FIELD_3</u>

A | B | C

A | bb | cc

In the Import manager you select source table and destination table.

1. Select the partitions tab, being in Partions tab, select the FIELD_1, then you will rest of the fields gets populated in "Available fields" in the Source Partitions grid.

Now add the FIELD_2, FIELD_3.

Go to Map Field/Values tab, You see the a single field called "FIELD_1[ Partition ]". In the Source values grid, you see the structure as follows.

A

B

C

bb

cc

The above one is called a Nested Partition.

2. After adding the all the fields in the Partition and select all of them and click combine button, In the Map Fields/Values tab you see the data for the FIELD_1[Partition] as

A;B;C

A;bb;cc

The above one is called Combined partition.

Splitting Example.

As I said, it always happen on a single field, which has multiple values with some common delimiter.

In the Source Hierarchy, select the field ->Right click->Set Split Delimiter->Select the Hierarchy of multiple fields.

Now select the Field ->Right click->Select Split into Hierarchy or Split into Multiple Fields.

Hope this helps and if you need any additional information let me know.

Thanks and Regards

Subbu

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Anoop,

In the partition field/value tab,in the Source Hierarchy , you can partition any field or value by any other field in the current source table by selecting from the Available Fields list on the left side of the tab and simply adding them.

Regards,

Tanveer.

<b>Please mark helpful answers</b>