cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between SAP logon and SAP logon Pad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

Can anyone explain practical difference between SAP logon and SAP logon Pad. I read from sap help about the difference as u201CYou can use the SAP Logon Pad to log on to an SAP system in the same way as SAP Logon. The only difference is that you cannot add, change, or delete the logon entries in the SAP Logon Pad.u201D

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Dear ,

With our discussion and clarity from your side i am able to understand the practical difference.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is there a way to in SAP Installation Server Admin to set the SAP Logon Pad to be the default when the SAPGUI is installed it will create a shortcut for SAP Logon Pad instead of the SAP Logon? Hope this make sense.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Leng,

This is a very old and already closed discussion, and you are asking a new question. You would do better to raise it as a separate question. Also, you will find the answer quite easily with some searching into blogs about setting up the SAPGUI Installation Server. The key is in the definition of your Package that you distribute to users.

Cheers,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

Nice to see your response. I am using SAP logon 620,i need some clarification ,as per my understanding user can logon to SAP(SAP version 4.7) in three ways :

1) SAP logon(which have details for all available CI and DI).

2) Using SAP shortcut.

3) SAP logon PAD

Concern is regarding what is SAP logon PAD and what is difference in configuration compared to SAP logon and SAP shortcuts which helps to restricts user to change the logon credential .

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Perhaps I am misunderstanding and forgive if I am, but they are both executable (.exe) programs which are developed and written by SAP. The difference is which has already been stated. They are restricted from performing the steps of creating or modifying from within the coding/executeable. (saplgpad.exe & saplogon.exe)

1) SAP logon - Displays the systems configured for your enviroment and allows the systems to be changed or added

2) Using SAP shortcut.

3) SAP logon PAD - Displays the systems configured for your enviroment and DOES NOT allow systems to be changed or added

With regard to SAP Shortcuts (.sap) the logon credentials vary depending if you are setup with SSO or not. If you are, then you do not need to logon as your ID is passed via your domain logon. If you do not have SSO enabled, then when the shortcut is triggered, it prompts you to logon to that system, that the shortcut was created from, with a valid userid and password

Regards,

Zecher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Agreed... that is the difference.

Looking at it from a IT standpoint. It works out well as we allow the shortcut for users to reside in the program group as well as the desktop for the SAP Logon Pad. Then users cannot change or modify the systems. However if someone from the IT staff needs to make a change, they can browse down to the SAP folder, locate the SAP Logon and manipulate the systems as needed.

Regards,

Zecher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sam,

this is excactly the difference. Via Sap Logon Pad you only can logon to predefined SAP Systems.

Via Sap Logon you can also change such points like system number, client id etc.

greetings

Alexander