cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sapstart process not running

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We were trying to stop SAP using stopsap command.But it failed saying that instance has already been stopped.

Enviroment linux red hat release 4 and oracle 10.0.2.0.5.

When checked we found out that the sapstart process is not running.Checked the work directory and there is no kill.sap file also.

Reboot would do the trick, but we wanted to know if there is a way to shutdown sap.Oracle has been shutdown using shutdown abort.

i tried using kill -2 <pid> but still the process are not getting killed.Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Is there a way to stop SAP once the sapstart process is killed.Thanks.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

What processes can you see running under <sid>adm?.... kill -9 should remove them.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Along with Juan's Suggestion , I would Suggest you check for any Semaphores in the System and Kill them if they are not Required .

Regards,

Ashish .A. Poojary

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ambarish,

Check for the processes which are running with user sidadm and kill them.

Also clear the ipcs so that all the processes related sidadm are killed.

Probably ipcs -a|grep sidadm should give the list of all the shared memory processes running with sidadm user.

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

I cannot killl the process using kill -9 also.Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is is linux removing semphores is not easy with IPCRM.Since they dont get released easily.I dont know why it happens in linux like that.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I cannot killl the process using kill -9

Any error messages when trying to kill the processes?... in anycase if your DB is offline and your OS is not responding maybe you should consider a restart.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

I dont like linux at all ..Lot of memory leaks i dont know why ..

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I use and used Linux extensively and never had a days trouble with it.. is the patching up to date?... what flavor of Linux are you using?

regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Juan,

Red hat release 4 .Why do we have memory leaks in linux?

0 Kudos

Hello,

normally a SAP system ist stopped by a kill -2 on the dispatcher (the parent of all work processes) which is done by sapstart or in sapstartsrv. If this does not work check the dispatcher trace or open a message on the SAP Market Place.

Please do not use kill -9. The SIGKILL closes the process directly. All open I/Os are kept open and also all child processes. A kill -6 (SIGABORT) should work as well.

Best regards,

Klaus

Answers (0)