cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using R3load loadprocedure -fast option

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The R3load version I am using is R6.40/V1.4 [UNICODE]. When doing database import on R/3 4.7 oracle with sapinst, how can I use the 'loadprocedure -fast' option? The loadprocedure -fast option was found in keydb.xml. However, when R3load is importing the database, I did not see the loadprocedure option being used when I grep the process. Must I use the import monitor in order to use the loadprocedure option?

Regards,

Lim

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> The R3load version I am using is R6.40/V1.4 [UNICODE]. When doing database import on R/3 4.7 oracle with sapinst, how can I use the 'loadprocedure -fast' option? The loadprocedure -fast option was found in keydb.xml. However, when R3load is importing the database, I did not see the loadprocedure option being used when I grep the process. Must I use the import monitor in order to use the loadprocedure option?

Using the import monitor is always better than letting sapinst do that, you have more control.

You can, however, enter that option also during the configuration step, you can just add it to "-stop_on_error".

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus, I'll try that out in my next import.

Actually I started to explore this option because the import took 20hrs to complete while the export took 6hrs for a 70Gb database. Previously I tried the same export and import without using migration monitor and the import only took 3hrs. The things that I did for the current system copy are:

- Reduce the size of a table with archiving

- Use the latest dbslibora.so from service market

- Use Migration Monitor for the export and import

I always perform a optimizer statistics with sapinst before I export the database.

Could you provide some advice on why my import took so long? Thanks.

Regards,

Lim

andreas_herzog
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

which options did you set while using migmon?

how many parallel r3load-processes?

unsorted unload?

etc. etc.

plz provide more informations - thx!

GreetZ, AH

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andreas,

I did not set any R3load args for import monitor. I can see in import monitor log R3load is performing the import with:

R3load -i SAPXXXX.cmd -dbcodepage 4102 -l SAPXXXX.log

I am using 8 parallel processes. The server has 8 CPU cores. Sorted export is used.

I also tried to follow note 936441 by setting the parameters recommendations in init.ora. However when the R3load is in progress, I check the active oracle parameter values and found out that the setting in init.ora was not used. Instead, init<SID>.ora parameters was used. As mine is a fresh database instance installation coupled with database import, I have no opportunity to set the parameters in init<SID>.ora because after the oracle software installation, init<SID>.ora does not exist yet.

Rdgs

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

8 CPU cores, if no others application or processes are running, you can use 16 parallel processes.

Also, whilst exporting & importing, you can use top/topas/SAR/etc etc to monitor the CPU, IO stat.

hmn.. you may also use MIGTIME to analysis the result of export and arrange the best and optimize sort_order sequence for your next export.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for the tip, I am aware of all the Migration Tools available. The issue is not related to the number of parallel jobs used to run the import. I think 8 is sufficient. The issue is the long import runtime I am facing for some of the packages like APPL1, APPL2, SSEXC etc.

Rdgs

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I have no opportunity to set the parameters in init<SID>.ora because after the oracle software installation, init<SID>.ora does

not exist yet.

That's why "migmon" is a better option here - you can adjust the parameters (e. g. increase db_writer processes) before you actually start the import.

Markus

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

then why not split the package?

Hi Markus,

i dont know either you guys aware of, we can set and increase some oracle parameter value like session, processes, db_write and etc by editing the default base parameter by sapinst.

What you need to is just edit the INITSID.ORA and INITSIDBASE.ORA file in installation media - /IM*/COMMON/ORA.

Cheers,

Thanks,

Nicholas Chang.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nicholas,

I have previously done an import of the same database a few weeks ago in 3.5hrs without splitting the packages. My database is only 70Gb. Kindly refer to my earlier post on what I have done between the previous system copy and the last system copy which took a long time for the import.

About your tip on editing INITSIDBASE.ORA, I will try that out. Thanks. Alternatively, I may just rename R3load to make sapinst or import monitor fail delibrately so as to give me an opportunity to edit init<sid>.ora according to note 936441.

Rdgs

nicholas_chang
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, that's the alternate way.