cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Online + REDO Log backup failing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have a failing backup when running a 'Full Online + REDO Logs' scheduled via DB13 (ERP6/Windows 2008/Oracle 10.2.0.4)

Whilst it is successful in backing up the datafiles and the REDO logs to the remote destination, it fails to catalog the backup, displaying the following message:

ORA-19625: error identifying file
Backup_Destination\BEFSDJTA\SR3.DATA10

ORA-27041: unable to open file

OSD-04002: unable to open file

O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.

RMAN>

Recovery Manager complete.

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2011-04-21 07.20.49

BR0279E Return code from 'F:\oracle\SID\102\BIN\rman nocatalog': 1

BR0536E RMAN call for database instance EQ1 failed

BR0280I BRBACKUP time stamp: 2011-04-21 07.20.49

BR0532E Cataloging backups of all database files failed

From what I understand, RMAN runs under the OracleService<SID> service, which calls the oracle.exe process, which is owned by the local user SYSTEM. This accounts for the access denied problem when accessing the remote destination using the RMAN utility.

As a test, I'm aware that if I change the ownership of oracle.exe to a non-local, domain user (<SID>adm), I can run RMAN commands without the permission denied error occuring. (performed this on a Sandbox)

The problem when I use this <SID>adm account as the oracle.exe owner, is that the SAP application Work Processes won't connect to oracle.

My questions are:

Is it a valid workaround to change the process owner of oracle.exe to something other than the local SYSTEM user?

If so, what are the criteria that need to be met for the new domain user to ensure that the SAP application is stable?

Does anyone know of an alternative workaround?

Thanks,

Chris W

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

jega
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

We are also having a similar issue.  Did your change have any unexpected problems.

I am going to try and implement the same change here

Thanks Jeff

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the response.

I've managed to get the SAP application to run with Oracle using the <SID>adm account as the OracleService<SID> owner.

The original problem with the SAP work processes in connecting with the Oracle database was due to the Oracle listener services also being owned by local user SYSTEM.

I changed the listener services ownership to <SID>adm (as well as the OracleService<SID>) and this allowed the connection between the SAP work processes and Oracle.

Also, I gave the domain <SID>adm account local administrator rights (same as SYSTEM) and have seen no problems since the switch.

I can also access a remote host using the RMAN utility - problem appears to be solved.

Chris

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> From what I understand, RMAN runs under the OracleService<SID> service, which calls the oracle.exe process, which is owned by the local user SYSTEM. This accounts for the access denied problem when accessing the remote destination using the RMAN utility.

Yes, SYSTEM can't connect remotely.

> The problem when I use this <SID>adm account as the oracle.exe owner, is that the SAP application Work Processes won't connect to oracle.

What error message do you get?

> Does anyone know of an alternative workaround?

I would backup locally and copy the data to a remote disk - or ever better use a 3rd party tool.

Markus