cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual landscape management with ChaRM and Retrofit functionalities

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

my landscape is made up by two tracks at the moment, with the following transport routes:

MAINTENANCE: ED1->EQ1->EP1

PROJECT: PD1->PQ1

All the modifications made on the maintenance landscape are copied in PD1 using retrofit functionalities of ChaRM.

Now my problem is what to do when the project is finished on PQ1 and I need to transport all my modifications from PQ1 to ED1, EQ1 and EP1. I did not find any SAP document or best practice about how to manage this with ChaRM. I am thinking to modify the transport routes in this way:

MAINTENANCE: ED1->EQ1->EP1

PROJECT: PD1->PQ1->ED1->EQ1->EP1

I will manage for example the maintenance project using urgnt or normal correction, and I will manage the project using for example custom urgnt correction able to operate on a 5 system track landscape, or normal correction. I will activate also the cross-system object lock for the two projects since the production client is the same, EP1.

Do you think this solution can work? Do you think that there could be some problems with the originality of the objects since in the 5 system track there are two development systems PD1 and ED1? It is possible in this case perform the import with ChaRM using the option "Overwrite originals". Do you have suggestions about how to manage a dual landscape like this with ChaRM?

I really need your help.

Thanks,

Antonello

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you checked this

[Retrofitting Transport Requests|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_smehp1/helpdata/en/a3/0aae435a1342e8a56998d83a797161/content.htm]

and the wonderful step by step blog which include dual dev path

[Charm- Retrofit functionality|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/15616] [original link is broken] [original link is broken] [original link is broken];

Thanks,

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your links, but I have already check them and they do not solve my problem, since they talk about how to copy the changes from the maintenance landscape to the implementation using retrofit but they do not talk about how to transport the modifications from implementation to maintenance using ChaRM.

Someone can help me?

Thanks,

Antonello

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you have any idea?

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Antonello,

Did you ever get an answer to this or how did you accomplish it?  4 years on and I am having the same problem as you in that I cannot find information on how to promote my project changes beyond my project test system and back into maintenance development, test and production.

Regards,

Ciarán

Former Member
0 Kudos

We too are exploring similar concepts. One of the ideas we are brainstorming is to create a new child change document after the retrofit is complete. The child doc could be a custom charm document with just the transport move step, or it could be an SDHF derivative.

This dependent change document will execute the move of these changes through your maintenance landscape and once complete update the main document status appropriately.

Hope this works out for you.

Cheers,

Pranav