cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webservice implementation options and their performance ranking?

kimmo_sirpoma
Participant
0 Kudos

If I am to to implement a webservice from/to SAP ERP, I consider I have at least 3 options:

1) Without PI - generating webservice from an RFC enabled wrapper function module (or bapi) inside SAP ERP

2) With PI, exposing a WS using RFC adapter in PI that uses an RFC wrapper fm (or bapi) in ERP

3) With PI, exposing a WS using ABAP proxy in ERP where the proxy uses non-RFC wrapper fm (or bapi).

Using ABAP proxy is recommended (instead of RFC adapter) for syncronous interfaces between PI and SAP applications I have heard, but still wanted to take RFC adapter as option.

Does anybody have experience about performance comparison in these options, if you have tested them all? Such a test must use same context e.g. using BAPI_CUSTOMER_GETDETAIL and you should have a client that can use them all (you probably have different wsdl for each and your client must calculate/trace response times. I know it is possible to monitor response times inside XI, but practically absolute response times can be calculated only in the client.

To be honest, I am more interested in hearing performance difference between generating WS from ERP directly or from PI. Options 2) and 3) are just PI variations. But if you have tested options 2) and 3) as well please let me know.

I was thinking of testing all scenarios myself, but if you have experience already, then you would save my time.

br: Kimmo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kimmo,

Whatis the PI version you are using?

I think you have other options too.

4) Create a service interface and implement the enterprise service in the backend.

http://www.sappi.sapag.co.in/flat-file-to-file-senario/creating-custom-enterprise-services-using-aba...

The option 1 that you mentioned and option 4 (That i have mentioned) will be of comparable performace.

From a performance stand point, option 1(or 4) will be the fastest (at least in theory ) as we do not have any mediating system.

But from a standards perspective, the option that i have suggested, is better (Read mre about SOA concepts to appreciate this more).

General suggestion is that we should not be using PI for User- machine integration (which is your case).

Best Regards,

Ravikanth Talagana