cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding SAP SCM with Domain Experience!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I have been working from past 6 yrs in manufacturing industry where we use ERP system. I donu2019t have any experience using SAP. But now Iu2019m planning to do SAP SCM course & certification. I have few questions for you

1. Is it a good idea for a person like me with munufacturing experince to do SAP SCM or Can you suggest me a course which is suitable for me?

2. Will there be any job opportunities in India ( I currently work in UK, but coming back to India for good very soon) for people like me who donu2019t have experince in SAP but have domain knowledge? Will they count my Domain expereince ?

Are there any possibilities of getting a job with my Domain experience & by doing course in SAP SCM?

3. Is it compulsary to do certification or is it sufficient to do course?

4. Training in some intitutes like Siemens is very expensive, Is it worth spending so much of money & to do the course & certification in such institutes?

Cant we clear the certification by doing the course in normal institute where they charge normal fee?

To do the certification is it compulsary to do the training in Siemens or such institute?

5. Also could you please tell me about the future opportunities of SAP SCM?

Please do guide me ...

Thanks for the help in Advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Rishi Menon Saravanan V : Thank you so much for your valuable suggestions...

I'm very confident about the Domain knowledge & also willing to do the certification in SAP, but I'm bit scared about the job opportunities after doing it with just Domain experience & not real time SAP experience.

As you people said I will try to meet the people at Siemens & will find out if there will be any chances for me to get a job in SAP field.

Can we clear the certification exam by getting training from other institutes like Reliance which charge much less than Siemens?

Is it impossible to clear the exam by getting trained in such institutes?

I dont understand why Siemens & few other institutes charge that high fee? Is it just becaue we can clear the certification easily or will there be any special training which they give & will it be an advantage when we try for jobs after getting trained over there?

Are there any other modules in SAP which has more opportunities & demand which can be done by people like me with Manufacturing Domain experience?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sharmila and All Can you please advise did you entered in to the SAP field or not yet. I also have experience of 12 years in the freight forwarding field self start working with freight forwarding filed from HARD CORE OPERATIONS like  customs clearance of our  shipments form all the globe (IMPORTS) Coordination with all the airlines for issues related with the  import shipment Import shipments amendments in customs / Airport systems Coordination with the  importers / clearing agents Coordination with the clearing agents / importer  brokers Coordination with the CUSTOMS officials for shipment clearance Also Coordination with the internally with our officials customer service/ sales / key accounts / IT teams for sharing /guiding shipment status and to solve their queries pertains  to the shipments like Documentation / customs requirements After customs clearance of importers shipment also providing transportation / logistics solution up to their warehouse / their premises Communication with overseas offices for shipment  details prior to arrive shipments in INDIA Currently working with EXPORT profile in freight forwarding industry and  currently dealing with Our overseas agents all over the globe. Mainly in to communications with Buying houses / Shippers Or Exporters / Airlines / Customs Follow up of with Airport staff who’s  clearing our exporters shipments through out the day from Airport /Customs Negotiations of freight cost with the airlines professionals. Now am looking forward to learn something in SAP-SCM field so that self can add credentials in my professional career so that I    can enhance my career But am confused which institute  to Join since there  are so many fake institutes in Delhi as you can understand Any body will please guide me on SAP-SCM course please or from I    Should pursue this course. Please provide  me your cell number if possible Or note my number as mentioned below. Thank you. 08506983145  Delhi

former_member721730
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you don't hav any SAP experience, to enter in the SAP definetly need a certification. But my suggestions for any SAP certification better spend less money in small institute to understand/gain the domain knowledge which ever you prefer. Once you comfortable with basics then proceed with Siemens certifications. Because the certification course duration is one month and even work hard there are possibilities to clear the certification exam.

Manufacturing experience definitely help in work, but it wouldn't help for very shot term certification.

Good luck.

Regards,Saravanan V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sunshine

Having domain experience in manufacturing/ supply chain is useful, and in my mind, a necessary pre-requisite for being a good SAP SCM functional consultant. However, the reality is that the industry does not value domain experience as much as they should, especially most offshoring companies in India.

Certification/ Training are somewhat useful, but they don't gaurentee anything, least of all getting a job. My advice is always first be sure if you want to switch career tracks from domain to consulting. Remember that the grass is greener.....Talk to people already in the area about travel requirements, working hours, etc.

But if you are certain, the best way is to probably to join an SAP implementation partner. Talk to them about your interest in SAP SCM and domain background. Be prepared to start from the first rung of a very tall ladder. Try to get on an SCM project even if its a support role. Get involved in internal activities such as proposal development, pre-configured solutions. See if they will sponsor certification/ training.

Opportunities in SAP SCM are a mixed bag. Projects are smaller compared to ERP implementations, so number of resources required are fewer. On the other hand number of available skilled resources is also smaller. Supply Chain Planning is a high priority for clients, but many of them don't have the maturity level required to implement advanced planning systems or are unwilling to commit to the effort/ expense.

Best of luck and keep the sun shining high !

Rishi Menon