cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When do we prefer Data Federator to be used

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear SCNers,

I read some blogs and forums about Data Federator. I got information process of working with Federator . But I didnt get When do we go for Data Federator.Before creating any Universe first we do have to create the data source using this data federator. (is it Prefered Process) .

Even without a data federator also we can create or connect to data source and design a universe. So when do we go for this Data Federator?

Thanks,

Swathi.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Use of the data federator to combine data from the multiple sources to the single source virtually and DF will make the OLAP source to the ROLAP.By DF you can replicate the SAP BW (OLAP) to the relational.

On top of the any source you have to create first DF project and then create universe on top of DF Project.

Without creating a Data Federator project you can connect to the different source like oracle,Sql Server,SAP and can design the universe.

Basically use of DF is required when it is to combine data from multiple sources and convert OLAP to relational schema like SAP BW Cube.

You can create universe on top of SAP Cube or Query by MDX drivers and on the same time you can convert SAP Cube to the relational by DF.

May be this helps you or let me know if you need more details.

Thanks,

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit , Thanks for your reply.

So Can we create a single source for two BW Queries ( Which are on diferent Data Targets) using DF. Which is not posible in Universe?

Thanks,

Swathi.

amitrathi239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In the single Data Federator project you can create multiple data source , merge data in the single target table ,create two DF projects ,drag tables from both DF Projects in the single universe and can join in the universe.

All things are dependent on the requirement and situation like you can merge data on DF level ,you can link universes in designer or you can merge data in the webi by creating multiple query.

Please go through the References and links tab in the below link.these will give the better idea how you can create DF project,universe.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/ImplementingDataFederatorNWBWConnectorforWebiReporting

Below link will give you the prons and cons of creating DF project on top of SAP Cube.

http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/BOBJ/LeveragingDataFederatorinSAP+integrations

Thanks,

Amit

Answers (0)