cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migration of universe and webI reports to BO BI 4.0???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I have universes and webI reports in BO XI 3.1 now I have to convert them into 4.0 version. Can any one please guide me step by step for migration of both universes and webI reports please???

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor

The beauty of SAp BI 4.0 is that you don't have to convert your universes into the new format. You can use your existing universes and reports without change.

All you have to do is use Upgrade Management Tool to migrate your reports and universes from Xi3.1 into SAP BI4.0 and you'll be able to use them right away.

There is no real reason to convert existing universes into the new semantic layer/new universe format immediately.

You should create new universes in the new format if you desire new functionality and to get familiar with new tool and functions. You can convert your existing universes to the new format later on....

Former Member
0 Kudos

@Denis:

Thank you for the reply, For the OLAP universes does UNV files remain UNV files when you move them over with the upgrade management tool??? or we still need to perform the UNV to UNX conversion step with IDT in order to convert them to UNX???

Edited by: saathiyaa on Apr 18, 2011 4:48 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

- No, you can't convert an OLAP universe from unv format to unx format.

- You can continue to use your OLAP universe, in unv format, just the same as you did in XI3.1 - so for you, going to BI4.0 will be pretty simple.

- It is possible to create a NEW OLAP universe in unx format, but you don't need to.

Hope that helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

@david:

If OLAP universes cannot be converted to UNX, then how we migrate the unverses and reports into BI 4.0, because I have couple of 3.1 universes and reports. Can you please tell me how to migrate, after I migrate reports to 4.0 as we cant convert universes will be UNV and will BI4.0 report support UNV universe?

and also every body say to use upgrade manager tool to convert, I just wonder where I can found it, because I see

Translation Management Tool

Report Convertion Tool

rather than Upgrade manager tool.

Thanks

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Again, Conversion and Migration/Upgrade are 2 diffeent things.

You MIGRATE your 3.1 unv universes into BO4.0 and they remain unv universes in BI4.0 and can be used with MIGRATED reports. no further CONVERSION is required.

BI4.0 support UNV, traditional universes utilizing all traditional connectivity options.

BI4.0 also introduces new semantic layer and new universe format UNX. You do not need to CONVERT your traditional universes into this new format.

Upgrade Management Tool is part of Server installation package, it doesn't come with Client Install package.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much for the reply, now my confusion got cleared.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

This is a big task and can't really be explained too well in a post. But here's the short version of the process you must follow:

1. In the information design tool, convert your old (unv format) universes to the new (unx) format and save them to the repository. This will create a new universe.

2. In each Webi report, go to the query panel and switch the report from looking at the old universe to the new universe. Assuming you're not making any changes to the universe all the objects will match and it will just work.

Chapter three of the information design tool manual is dedicated to converting old universes to new.

Changing the universe that a Webi report uses is in the Webi manual, it isn't specific to a BI4.0 migration.

As far as I know, it isn't possible to convert OLAP universes.

Lastly, I'd suggest making sure you're using BI4.0 SP01 - the information design tool seems to have quite a few things ironed out.

For a fast intro into the information design tool, you can [have a look at this|http://blog.davidg.com.au/2011/04/bi40-information-design-tool.html].

Hope that helps!

Former Member
0 Kudos

@David:

Hi david, I am using OLAP Universes, so according to you OLAP Universes cannot be converted from UNV to UNX using Information design tool? please confirm on this.

If it is, then any other way to migrate OLAP Universes?

denis_konovalov
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

migrate and convert are 2 different things.

While you can't convert certain OLAP universes into new format - you can still Migrate all universes and use them.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Denis ,

after complete migration from sap bo3.1 to 4.0 what is storage location

For example:  after completed migration for all universes, webireports, users, groups from sap bo 3.1 to 4.o k, then what is storage location that means repository or desktop of local machine

Please can u guide me,

Regards,

Rao