Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating the sm19 audit log for all users

Former Member
0 Kudos

My requirement is to enable the audit log for all the users(1000+) in sm19. I am unable to find any doucment where SAP provide their recommendations on it. I have gone throgh the note 539404 where it says the recording will stop once the log file is full. I am thiniking as 512 MB is the mazimize file size, and I can delete the old audit lof file by keeping it around 10 days.

Please suggest if its feasible to enable the audit log for around 1000 users and at the same time keep the log deletion for 10 days.

I am thinking just to keep the transaction start and report start in sm19 selection for all employees.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mvoros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the recording will stop only if the total size of files for one day is more than limit set in rsau/max_diskspace/per_day. The maximum size for audit file is 2GB but you can have multiple files on one day. The archiving/deleting old audit fiels is up to you. You can also check note 429343. Everything depends on number of events you will have per second.

Cheers

4 REPLIES 4

mvoros
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

the recording will stop only if the total size of files for one day is more than limit set in rsau/max_diskspace/per_day. The maximum size for audit file is 2GB but you can have multiple files on one day. The archiving/deleting old audit fiels is up to you. You can also check note 429343. Everything depends on number of events you will have per second.

Cheers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Martin, I would like to know 2 things related to it to clear my doubts.

First, if the audit log size of the file reaches to its limit so the next day it will overwrite this file and the previous data will be deleted. Or the the new logs will not be updated unless we delete the logs manually from sm18.

Second, can we enable the logs for all the users(*) for 1 hr and track the increase in the file size. Depending on this, we can keep deleting the logs by keeping the value to around 6-7 days in sm18. In this way we can take the audit log from sm20 every 7 day and will be able to keep a record for all previous months.

Does enabling the audit log for all the users(around 600) can create some performance issues.

Thanks.

Edited by: SameerSheikh on Apr 21, 2011 3:00 PM

0 Kudos

Hello Sameer,

The file will not be overwritten the next day! Because you need to be able to read it later on. so if SAP would overwrite it..... sounds logical. or?

Yes you can do the activation for 1 hour. simply use the dynamic configuration for such 'tests'.

The documentation will tell you, how to handle it.

b.rgds, Bernhard

Edited by: Bernhard Hochreiter on Apr 22, 2011 10:23 AM

0 Kudos

Sorry I am putting question on this old forum.

The max limit to add users rsau/selection_slots=10. Is there anyway to put more users e.g in my case I want to put 15?