cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web dispatcher load balancing

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am using webdispatcher 7.11 with six load balancing java application server. (NW 7.01 on DB2 with linux)

When I goto "session monitor" on main portal,

I can see web dispatcher using all the available application server including the main portal too.

That means some of the incoming request is directly routed to main portal instead of through application server.

Can any one please let me know, why webdispatcher is routing some of the incoming request directly to portal ??

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sir,

There facility in Webdispatcher where you can define set of servers to process your HTTP requests not all be part of that.

Under the disptaching module you can see something called as Monitor server group. You can allocate the server to which you want the routing to happen.

Again webdispatcher works as reverse proxy. It generaly takes the request and pushes it to which ever the HTTP server which is ready to process that single request.

So if you want to isolate a particular server you need to remove that from that active server group.

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek

I have only defined the required application server to handle the incoming HTTP request but still some the incoming request is directly being routed to main portal.(this I can see in portal session monitor)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not possible that the web dispatcher is routing HTTP requests directly to the main portal.

Most probably, the portal is generating dynamic URL and you need to configure the portal to generate "web dispatcher" abled URLs.

If you want to be sure, use an HTTP trace tool like HTTPWATCH.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Olivier:

Initially I was also surprised, how come web dispatcher is routing it directly to main portal, but when I goto portal session monitoring tab I can see user name being redirected to main portal with originating IPs and hostname.

However can you plz let me know from where I can check portal generated dynamic URL and where can I configure webdisp to generate "web disp" abled URLs.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi basis basis,

No I cannot because I don't know what you do with YOUR portal...

This is the portal that you need to configure to be "webdisp able".

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sir,

To be frank what you are seeing is URL being directed.

Is your webdispatcher on CI and the URL being maintained for webdisp is http://CIhostname.yourdomain.com:port/.

then I hope its not directing to main portal its just using that hostname where your webdisp is located then in turn all the HTTP requests will be routed to application servers which are behind the active server group to receive the requests.

Kindly check where is your webdisp running.

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vivek:

My Main portal, webdisp and application server, all are on different host. All have different indivisual IPs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sir,

In that case if the Central server is not part of webdispacther I think it will be isolated from the HTTP requests.

The sessions which you may be seeing are the users who are directly calling your central server.

Regards

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Portal session monitoring does not tell you if the web dispatcher was used or not.

It just tells you on which java server node the user session is open.

Regards,

Olivier