cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Log NC based on data collection

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it possible to trigger the logging of an NC based on a data collection value being outside the acceptable range?

ie. Acceptable range for the data collection is a number less than 6, if the user enters 7 I would like to log an NC that says the data collection is out or range.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Alli,

You can fail only Pass/Fail Group. Per definition, the Pass/Fail Group can be failed only when ALL parameters violate Min/Max range. You need to specify LOGNC_ID_ON_GROUP_FAILURE prameters also. And then you do not need DC hooks.

In case there is any parameter which can't be failed (e.g. of Text type), you will not be able to fail the Pass/Fail Group. This is by design. Boolean type can't be failed either.

Regards,

Sergiy

Former Member
0 Kudos

To summarize:

What I'm taking away from this is that it is the best practice to have only one parameter per DC group if you intend to trigger the automatic logging of an NC when that group "fails." The one parameter in the DC group MUST have a min/max value assigned and a fail is triggered when the operator enters a value outside of that range. The NC is logged using the value assigned to the LOGNC_ID_ON_GROUP_FAILURE parameter in activity maintenance.

If there are multiple parameters in the DC group, they all have to have a min/max value assigned and ALL of the responses have to be out of range in order to fail the SFC.

I cannot have a DC group that contains parameters of multiple types and expect an NC to be logged based on an incorrect answer (for one question or multiple.)

I cannot expect an NC to be logged based on an incorrect answer of one question, if the rest of the questions in the DC group are answered "correctly."

Sound correct?

Edited by: Allison Davidson on Apr 18, 2011 10:06 AM - typo

0 Kudos

Yes.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any hopes of enhancements to this feature in future releases? I'd love to see some more flexibility specifically relating to:

- ability to log a failure when one or more (of many) parameters are out of range

- ability to log a failure on boolean types

0 Kudos

As to 5.2, the only chance to implement this behavior is customization.

Not sure if 6.0 can introduce these changes as Base enhancement - maybe it is a bit late.

Anyway, you need to ask your SAP consultant to submit your suggestion for consideration of Product Management.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Allie. I agree that the feature pass/fail should be made more flexible. The same discussion occurred yesterday with a customer who was in Atlanta for the day. Currently, as you discovered, all parameters must fail or the NC process is not triggered.

This cannot be done in 6.0 because we have completed development and are in solution validating testing

Regards, Camille Keglovitz

Former Member
0 Kudos

I hope by now we have a solution for this.

- ability to log a failure when one or more (of many) parameters are out of range

Answer : I guess this can be achived by using Pass/Fail Group option in Data Collection Maintenance

- ability to log a failure on boolean types

Answer : Still a question mark - Let me know if anyone can help me on this.

Let me know if anything has been found out.

0 Kudos

Hello Alli,

Isn't activity DC521 'Data Collection Limits Check' useful for you in this case? It checks all operations on the router up to the current operation to verify if all u201Ccurrentu201D Data Collections that have been logged against current SFC are within the defined Min/Max thresholds.

Regards,

Alex.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I used DC521 and it did indeed prevent me from completing the operation where the data collection (which was out of range) was performed.

However, because it prevent me from completing the operation, I could also not log an NC and route the SFC to ANR (because to do so would require completing the operation where the data collection check had failed)

Additionally, as an operator I could not re-open the saved data collection and modify my answer.

So now I have an SFC that is stuck at the operation where the data collection was performed. (as an operator) I cannot edit the data collection to pass the check, and I cannot log an NC to allow the SFC to go to Analysis and Repair.

Additionally, I would like to know if there is a way to automatically open an NC based on a failed data collection check.

0 Kudos

As far as I remember logging NC can be configured with LOGNC_ID_ON_GROUP_FAILURE Activity Rule of DC500 'Data Collection' activity.

0 Kudos

You may also try to configure activity DC400 'Data Collection Edit' for Operator to edit the data.

former_member182330
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Alli,

I believe DC group should be configured as Pass/Fail group to fire NC log if a DC value is out of bounds. Though I haven't tested it recently.

Konstantin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Konstantin,

The DC group is configured as pass/fail and still no luck with being able to log an NC and complete it at the operation

former_member182330
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you attach DC group/parameter(s) config screenshots here?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Konstantin,

The link below contains screenshots of the DC group, custom DC activity, POD details, Operation details, as well as the error I see when I attempt to move the SFC forward

http://ImageEvent.com/igz00/sapme/datacollection