Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrict Business Content Activation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone know of a way to restrict business content activation while still allowing developers to maintain objects in BW 7.0? I ran a trace while someone was activating an InfoObject and didn't see anything that I could use to achieve this level of control. If I remove the S_RS_ADMWB Maintenance (ACTVT=23) authorization for INFOOBJECT, then that stops the activation; however, we want our developers to be able to maintain existing InfoObjects. We just don't want most to be able to activate business content.

Thanks,

Gail

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not possible to restrict the Authorization on Business content activation. The only workaround is to restrict the authorization of RSA1 to specific people and manage them with additional approvals. However, since it is a BI workbench transaction code, every BI consultant should know the risk of Activating Business content. Why you are so much worried on removing this option?

Regards,

Raghu

0 Kudos

Thanks for your response, Raghu.

We have our own SAP development team at my company and don't typically use many consultants. It has always been our philosophy to allow our SAP developers to have comparable access across all our SAP development environments (e.g., ECC development, BW development, etc.) for cross-training purposes. But in reality, only a handful of our developers are very knowledgeable in our BW environment; we call them our "BW Administrators". These BW Administrators have concerns that one of the other developers who has played around in the BW environment but isn't all that knowledgeable might activate business content without realizing the implications of what they're doing. We would like for all of our developers to have RSA1 etc. so they can learn more about BW; however, per request of our BW Administrators, we want to restrict them such that they can't activate business content. But as you said (and per authorization tracing that I've done), there doesn't appear to be a way to restrict them from activating business content without also restricting them in other areas where we don't want them restricted. I guess we'll have to rely on administrative controls (i.e., training).

Gail

0 Kudos

Hi Gail,

It has always been our philosophy to allow our SAP developers to have comparable access across all our SAP development environments (e.g., ECC development, BW development, etc.) for cross-training purposes.

Its unfortunate that your developers doesn't have knowledge about the business content. By the way, why can't you have a separate training/sandbox systems to allow your developers to play. This ofcourse will minimize the impact and always recommended to have one to use as a playground.

Regards,

Raghu