Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managing Flex source code: alternatives to NWDI?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts, can you please share with me your experiences with source code management tools for your Adobe Flex applications? Our development team has handed off a very nice application to the maintenance group, but unfortunately no forethought into version control and team editing.

NWDI is fine if we just want to zip up a project and store it in a central repository, but we really want a good tool that we can manage individuals tasks, merge changes and work concurrently in a save environment.

Any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

former_member10945
Contributor
0 Kudos

Here at Adobe we use Perforce, but I have used subversion and git to manage very complex Flash / Flex source depots. You could probably even use VSS ( if you are still using that ) but I've never tried that. You are best off using something that integrates well into Eclipse to make the developers workflow easy. It is also good practice to have a automated build system and continuous integration setup around your application.

-d

0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using SubVersion Repository for version management of Flex projects. Its really good and easy to use.

You can install Subversion repository.

And then You can download plugin for Subversion for Flex Builder, install and start using it.

Alternatively, you can use Perforce also. From few people who are using NWDI, we got to know its better to use Perforce than NWDI. AS NWDI uses component based projects.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Srilatha

Former Member
0 Kudos

After much politics, it looks like ClearCase may be mandated in our shop - as it turns out we own licenses for the IBM Rational suite of tools (Requisite Pro, ClearQuest, Quality Manager, et.al.) Anyone else have experience with this product? Good/bad? We have a small window of opportunity to back out before we commit to the product.

Pro: Development team does not have to manage or administer the repository - we have a dedicated work group for that

Con: (?)