cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow due to cache issues

0 Kudos

Our QA system gets shut down every night for a cold backup. After start up any transactions take an age to load for the first time, but once cached seems to work great.

Has anybody else came accross this issue or know of any jobs we can run to build a common transaction list into cache.

The server has 16GB RAM and there doesn't seem to be any issues under ST02.

If there is a delay in my responding to any suggestions I apologies now as i'm on holiday for a week after today.

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Our QA system gets shut down every night for a cold backup. After start up any transactions take an age to load for the first time, but once cached seems to work great.

MaxDB can be backed up online in a consistent way - why do you shut down the system?

Markus

0 Kudos

We use using ZFS snapshots/clones as well as an oracle backend database. Taking the system out cold and snapshotting it is our prefered backup method. Its something that works well and its not something that we want to change.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We use using ZFS snapshots/clones as well as an oracle backend database.

So you're not using MaxDB/liveCache?

> Taking the system out cold and snapshotting it is our prefered backup method. Its something that works well and its not something that we want to change.

You can just "hold I/O" on MaxDB and do the snapshot online.

If you shut down the database the caches must be refilled before the database will be working as before. There's nothing you can do about that.

Markus

0 Kudos

Unfortunately not using MaxDB/livecache.

I was hoping that there was going to be some load transactions into cache command/job.

But if there isn't its a bit of tough luck.

Thanks

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Unfortunately not using MaxDB/livecache.

But you opened this thread in the MaxDB/livecache forum

> I was hoping that there was going to be some load transactions into cache command/job.

> But if there isn't its a bit of tough luck.

Shutting down databases is never a good idea. From where should the database/the system know which "transactions to load" and with which data?

Your procedure doesn't allow any other method than waiting for the data to be back in the cache. There are, however, procedures to not have the necessity to shut down the database.

Check

Note 842240 - FAQ: Backup strategy of large and highly-available databases

section "snapshots".

You will "just" need to modify your script to set the database to "begin backup", create a ZFS snapshot and issue an "end backup".

Markus

0 Kudos

Apologies for posting in the wrong area - its been a few years since I was last on sdn and that was the deafult forum I was taken to!