cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Universe on SQL Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are trying to build a universe on SQL server tables (nearly 20 dimensional and 8 fact tables). Difficulty here is almost all the KPIs we want to show are derived KPIs and requirement is we need to show them in dashboards so the approach is SQL Server --> Universe --> Live Office --> XCelcius Dashboards.

My question here is where we can calculate these KPIs and what is the best approach whether to derive these KPIs at universe level or in the Dash board. Please let me know your views.

Thanks & Regards,

Sathish.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Derived tables please, dashboard's arent all that happy with an overload of calculations etc

With derived table you'll be 'using' views on the database and by that using your database to calculated.

What every you can do at the lowest level in the chain do it there.

Im used to oracle but i create'd the select\calculation sql code needed on the database via a sql viewer and chucked that into derived tables.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Some views from my point of view...

If we design KPIs in universe level, we can use thse in multiple dashboards.

If KPIs are defined in dashboards, they are limited to only that.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you please let me know the possibilities to derive them at universe level ?

I agree with your reply and it also depends on the requirement if a kpi has to be shown in multiple dashboards then better to derive this at universe level. since we have multiple tables the no of joins would be obviously more and performance centric. let me know your thoughts on this.

Many Thanks,

Sathish.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have more tables to join while calculating KPIs, its better to sort out this complexity at database level and create pre-calculated KPI tables. That would improve performance.