cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring Oracle to shutdown automatically when OS shutsdown

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I believe there is a way with Oracle 9i to set it to shutdown when the OS (windows 2003) shutsdown? This would mean you would only need to stop SAP in the MMC before rebooting the server.

Can anyone tell me how to configure this?

Cheers,

Paul

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The behaviour of the Oracle Instance in case of a Shutdown of its Windows Service is controlled by the registry entries in HKLM\Oracle\HomeX

ORA_<DBSID>_SHUTDOWN = TRUE|FALSE

this one controls wether the instance will be shutdown on Service shutdown

ORA_<DBSID>_SHUTDOWN_TIMEOUT = 30 (Seconds)

this one controls how long the service will wait for completing the shutdown until it aborts the shutdown

ORA_<DBSID>_SHUTDOWN_TYPE = i|n|a

i = immediate

n = normal

a = abort

An SAP (Start)Service will also shutdown the instance in case of a ServiceShutdown (via Stop Service).

When Windows is shutting down it will send every Service a Shutdown notification message. The services typically implement their own shutdown. But Windows will only wait a very short time (depending on the windows version but typically 30-60 seconds) for the services to shutdown until it will kill the Services Process. This is the point where it is not guranteed the the shutdown of the database will happen that way you want it.

If you are interested in a controlled shutdown you have to write a script which implements this.

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your thorough explanation.

Regards,

Paul

kishore_soma
Active Participant
0 Kudos

How to configure this on HP-UNIX

Regards,

Kishore

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

On HP-UX (or any other Unix) you need to write a small script and put it in the normal operating system shutdown procedure (/sbin/init.d).

Markus