Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM(7.1) PI ADAPTER

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

My scenario is ECC--- PI(7.1) -

MDM(7.1)

I have configured the scenario and the messages are sent to MDM but the message were only in Ready folder of the MDM server but not directly updating the MDM Tables.

Could anyone suggest me on this.

Thanks in Advance,

Lavanya

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

The task of PI is to move data to Ready folder. After that once MDM works on it, and data is moved to Archive folder.

Regards

Monika

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Monika,

If the files are moved to ready folder ,then can you tell me advantage of using MDM -PI7.1 adapter when compared to the earlier version

Regards,

Lavanya

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Older version we use File adapter to place file in FTP,then MDM Import manager will import files from FTP,then MDM process starts.

New version--MDM-PI adapter will send mdm server ready folder directly,it avoids one life cycle.

Regards,

Raj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Will the files be sent to ready folder only or it could send directy to the mdm tables?

Regards,

Lavanya

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

as per my knowledge the files will be moved to ready folder,

if you know MDM flow then you can understand easily.

Former Member
0 Kudos

They will be sent to a Ready folder, and then MDM adapter will trigger the Import Server through the MDM API, to have the file imported using the configured Inbound port.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lucas,

Could you please explain me in detail about those points which you have stated ,as am configuring thePI and MDM server for the first time.

Regards,

Lavanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you worked with import manager in MDM before? If it is not then bit difficult for you to understand.

You need to make tables and fields ready in MDM and once PI push the files into "ready" folder, your import manager should capable to import those data.

Thanks,

Shankar-

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

So here is how it works, MDM has a component called Master Data Import Server (MDIS). MDIS is actually used by MDM to automatically import any file which comes in the "Ready" folder of a certain Port (Ports are like windows directory). Ports internally are mapped to Import Maps in MDM Console.

So when you use MDM Adapter, it drops the file in "Ready" folder and then invokes MDIS. MDIS looks at this file and run the import map for it, this Import map is responsible to import the file in MDM Tables, Once the import process is completed successfully, MDIS sends back an acknowledgment to MDM adapter saying that the import is successful, if there is any error, it tells that to MDM Adapter and you will see it in Communication channel monitoring of PI

We never update MDM tables directly (much like ECC).

If the file is dropped in Ready but is not picked up by MDM, there is a problem in MDIS configuration, please ask them to look at MDIS.ini file. they probably need to change the password in MDIS.ini. file. All these work is done by MDM folks, not by PI experts.

It might be too much to digest but since you asked in detail, so here it is

Thanks

Aamir

Edited by: Aamir Suhail on Apr 12, 2011 4:04 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aamir,

Thanks a lot for a detail reply and now am able to understand a bit .

My Query:

The file is in ready folder but not automated to the Data Manager and I have encountered the error as there was actually a field mismatch say, example,

PI- Material_Description

MDM- Material Description

Do I have encountered the exact error or anyone could guide me in this issue?

Lavanya

Edited by: Lavanya Balanandham on Apr 13, 2011 6:37 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>I have encountered the error as there was actually a field mismatch

You need to look in MDM Console for the status of this port.

If it says "Empty" then it means there is no file in the "Ready" folder. This is not the case with you.

If it says "Has Data", it means that there is a file in "Ready" folder and waiting to be picked by MDIS and imported in MDM. if the port stays in this status for long time (generally more than 1-2 mins), it means MDIS is not picking the file and there is some issue in MDIS server. Ask MDM basis to look into this.

If it says "Blocked", this means MDIS tried to pick the file and run the import process but the XMlL schema of the incoming file (which you sent from PI) does not match the XML schema of the Import map. In this case you need to either process this file manually (via Import Manager) or delete this file and send correct file from PI.

If you are not well versed in MDM you probably need to take help from MDM folks to troubleshoot this issue.

Thanks

Aamir

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

The issues were solved.

1.I referred the "Generating Web Services Using MDM Web Service Generator 7.1" document to generate the WSDL file.

2.The files from ready folder started to process when the MDIS server made to automatic from manual.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

There is a change in requirement as they wanted the files to be directly triggered into MDM tables and not through the MDIS involvement so can we achieve this through a webservice??

Could anyone guide me on this ?

Regards,

Lavanya

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>MDM tables and not through the MDIS involvement so can we achieve this through a webservice

Yes, it is possible, it will be a simple SOAP scenario.

One thing you need to make sure is that WSDL can not handle huge data load, MDM Adapter can handle pretty big load.

Thanks

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aamir ,

Thanks for your immediate respose,

My queries:

1.IDOC is my sender and will webservice be able to manage ?

2.How to generate the wsdl file for this receiver scenario?

Regards,

Lavanya

Edited by: Lavanya Balanandham on Apr 14, 2011 11:35 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>.IDOC is my sender and will webservice be able to manage ?

Sure, it will work, you need to do mapping in PI

>>How to generate the wsdl file for this receiver scenario?

You will not generate it, MDM will generate and provide the file to you.

As a side note, if your MDM doesn't have a solid reason to use webservice instead of MDIS, they are driving down the cliff

Thanks

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aamir,

As this is the first time we are integrating PI and MDM , we are trying to find the best method to carried out for this scenario,

Looking for all prons and cons on both options .

In MDM ,do we have any option to generate the WSDL ??

Could you comeup with your suggestions on those options?

Regards,

Lavanya

Edited by: Lavanya Balanandham on Apr 15, 2011 12:41 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

The WebService generator can create the WSDL for the web service. Please check the SDN thread below