cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RfcCustomDestination

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I've been having some trouble finding any documentation on how to use the RfcCustomDestination object.

Here is my scenario:

There will be multiple clients talking to a Web Service. That Web Service will be running .NET Connector 3 and the Clients will provide the Web Service with a valid SAP login in the form of a User and Password.

The NCo_30_Overview.pdf recommends the use of the RfcCustomDestination object when you have multiple users connecting and making one or two calls and then disconnecting, the problem is that I can't seem to find any documentation or samples for it.

Seeing as I'm completely new to the use of .NET Connector, which of the following would best suit my needs, if any:

1. Add support to my IDestinationConfiguration implementation so that it can return new RfcConfigParameters based off of the destination name, which in this case would be the Username. I could modify a Destination and invoke the ConfigurationChanged event but the problem with that is that I do not want to change the login for other Clients currently talking to the Web Service.

2. Invoke the CreateCustomDestination() method of the RfcDestination object and specify the User and Password there every time a client makes a request to the Web Service

Edited by: Mikael Nensén on Apr 11, 2011 4:49 PM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would say option 2. This method has been designed specifically for your scenerio. Help comment below:

+

Creates a custom destination with parameters initialized to the values of the current destination. The application can then modify these values on the fly. However, this does not change the original underlying destination. This is useful for scenarios like the following: you are developing a GUI application that logs into SAP systems on a by-user basis and you want to store only server hostnames, system-numbers, etc in the configuration. For the other values like username, password, language you want to ask the end-user at runtime. So you create an incomplete/partial destination in your configuration, create a custom destination from that and fill in the missing parameters based on user feedback.

+

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback Alan,

Is there any NCo3 documentation or samples available, maybe online, except the NCo_30_Overview.pdf, NCo_30_ProgrammingGuide.pdf and NCo_30_Tutorial.zip files?

Former Member
0 Kudos

No there doe snot seem to be. I have had a look at some JCO examples which are very similar. My assumption is that once this method is called you get a clone of the parent Destination object. You then set the Username and paswword on the clone, and use this when you either invoke and or start a server program.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alan.

Apologies for reply on such an old thread.

When creating a new CustomDestination from an existing destination wont this affect performance because of the amount of destinations that will now be created?

I'm facing a similar problem as Mikael, I have multiple users about 500 that connect to SAP using about 90 destinations. These 500 users process around 1-2 calls per second. The users pick up destinations using GetDestination however some of the destination have different user than expected and the user cant be changed as its read-only. So would CustomDestination be the appropriate solution?

Thank you for your help.

MarkusTolksdorf
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Alan,

JCo 3.0 and NCo 3.0 share the concepts, even though not everything is identical. Hence, you are right, it's often a good idea to also search for corresponding JCo examples.

Best regards,

Markus

MarkusTolksdorf
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Lesugo,

surely, creating an RfcCustomDestination has a small overhead compared to a configured destination. On the other hand, the most important part are the pools and the connections associated with such a destinations. And those will be kept for quite a while and are not regenerated. Hence, the overhead is small. And yes, from what you've written so far, Custom destinations are the approach fitting best.

Best regards,

Markus

Answers (0)