cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport request between SAP systems with different versions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I have to synchronize the customizing and workbench objects of two existing development systems, which have different versions (EHP3 and EHP4). First I thought, that I can do this by importing the existing transport requests.

Now I`ve heard, that this isn`t recommended. even more it would be dangerous to do a transport from one system to another system with a different version. Can someone explain, which problems can occur and which risks exists?

Best regards

Tobias

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Check

Note 1090842 - Composite note: Transport across several releases

This note contains specific links to other notes what can happen in which release.

Markus

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, it's right. It is not recommended to do transport between 2 systems having different support package level. It is because objects will be on different version and might be some new objects will be delivered which can cause inconsistency in the system.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, but are there other risks, apart from inconsistency?

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I did not mean with other risks. If system will be inconsistent then I don't think so there can be another big risk.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm afraid that transports of customizing between different releases is NOT supported. Also generated objects, which were generated by customizing, should NOT be transported between different releases.

SAP objects may NOT be transported between different releases (e.g. a table in an old release could have less fields than in the newer release and thus such a transport might delete data or if an ABAP calls a function module and in new release have one parameter more, then you get syntax errors if you transport only one of them from a system with the old release, ...).

So data loss and severe inconsistencies can happen if you transport SAP objects between different releases, or between systems with same release but different support package level or between systems with different addons or different add-on versions etc.

Hope this answers your question.

Best Regards,

Paul