cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assignment of One Solution ManagerDiagnostics Agent to Multiple SAP Systems

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

according to the Powerpoint presentation attached to SAP Note 1365123, one single Solution Manager Diagnostics Agent can be used for E2E RCA with multiple SAP systems running on its physical host.

I have installed one Diagnostics Agent on a server where three ABAP systems are running. Each ABAP system on this server has been installed under an alias (i.e. all these SAP systems are reachable under the same IP address. No virtual servers with individual IP addresses have been defined.). I want to configure each ABAP system for E2E RCA. When running the Managed Systems Setup procedure for E2E RCA, I am not able to assign the diagnostics agent to more than one of these ABAP systems - after the first system has been configured for E2E RCA, the entry for the Diagnostics Agent on this particular server is no longer available in the drop-down list of Diagnostics Agents when configuring the next system.

Is my understanding of the presentation mentioned above wrong, or am I missing a trick here? How can I assign the Diagnostics Agent to all three SAP systems that are running on the same physical host?

Details about the environment:

SAP Solution Manager: SAP EHP1 for Solution Manager 7.0 (SP Level 24)

Diagnostics agent version : 7.01.7.0.20100326100205

Thank you for your time,

Rainer Walter

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm going through this same process/issue myself. I also have don't have a true virtual system setup, but I have multiple systems on the same server and they were each looking for different Agents during the setup. We just did a central SLD install and so I'm going through a landscape configuration but the one thing I believe tied things together was the message server name within SMSY. If they shared the same name they wanted to use the same Agent but if it was different they were not wanting to.

I did install multiple Agents on the same server as a test and it satisfied my needs at that time; Both agents ran fine and reported the information to my Solution Manager system.

So my suggestion is to view your system landscape and if the server is different, than different Agents are needed. Else make the change and you should be able to use the same agent.

I may be off target with this one, but it worked for me. Hope it helped.

Ryan

Paul_Babier
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello,

Have you followed all the rules?

Rule 1

Consider the diagnostic agent as a standard SAP system

Rule 2

Install one Diagnostic Agent per host (Physical or Virtual) (You mentioned you don't have virtual hosts)

Rule 3

Each Diagnostic Agent gets mapped to the SMSY repository using the server name key

Rule 4

Do not install a Diagnostic agent on a host that only run databases or SAP Central Services

Rule 5

An Agent can only conenct to one single Solution Manager System

If you install multiple Diagnostic Agents on the same host, each one needs to be connecting to a different Soltuion Manager system

Rule 6

Choose the adequate diagnostic agent installer/version

Rule 7

In a switch over scenario diagnostic agent must move with their respective virtual host and managed components

These are the rules attached to SAP Note 1365123. You need to comply to the rules.

If you have multiple agents ont he same host, then they need to conenct to different solution manager systems....according to the rules. One agent per physical host is one of the rules...specifically rule #2. This is my take, and it seems pretty clear here.

Regards,

Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Paul,

thank you very much for summarizing the rules for installing the Diagnostics agent.

To be a little bit more precise with regards to my environment and my problem:

1. One physical server, three SAP systems (single stack-ABAP, CI and DB), one single Diagnostics agent. No virtual hosts.

2. One single Solution Manager.

3. One out of three SAP systems on this server is successfully set up and configured for E2E RCA. I take this as an indicator that the Diagnostics Agent is working as supposed.

4. The other two systems on the same host could not be set up and configured for E2E RCA because the Configuration program for managed systems in TA SOLMAN_SETUP did not let me pick the appropriate Diagnostics agent entry from the drop down list - it simply was no longer present. At first sight, this looks to me as if this configuration program for managed systems that associates a diagnostics agent with an SAP system assumes a 1:1 relationship between agent and managed SAP system.

I would be grateful for a hint how to get the other two SAP systems configured to use the single diagnostics agent on the physical server for E2E RCA in the same way as I did for the first SAP system.

Best regards,

Rainer Walter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rainer,

Were you able to succeed in configuring E2E RCA for the other  two systems, Did it work.

i am also looking for solution for the same kind of issue

MAR

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

the rule is simple

2nd rule#there shoudl be only one smd for one host.But in that case you need to maintain central sld to collect the data of all the systems

please check the thread [|]

and as per Rule5 each SMD agent connected to ONE solution manager system, so are you trying to connect single SMD to multiple solution manager system??

Please check

Thanks,

Jansi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jansi,

thank you very much for looking into my issue. The SMD agent is connected to one single Solution Manager system.

As for the thread 1404541 you are referring to: This looks like a case where each local zone has an individual IP address, which I would call a virtual host then.

My case is different - I do not have virtual hosts.

All SAP systems to be managed are registered with a central SLD that replicates its records with the SLD of the Solution Manager. However, the Diagnostics Agent has been registered with the Solution Manager rather than with the central SLD.

Best regards,

Rainer Walter