cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of Database instance on server where database is already exist

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have a separate oracle database team who have copied one of the database using oracel backup restore procedure. This database is in 10g and it is working fine from oracle perspective.

Now as a basis admin i need to install database instance using the existing database. I should not overwrite this existing database but i should attach this existing database while installation of database instace.

I have done normal installation using sapinst and installation export but not done this type of installation as yet.

I am not aware about which option of sapinst i should use for installation of database instance so that it can use the existing database without overwriting it OR if i go with normal way will it able to catch the existing database and give me the option to attah it instead of overwriting it?

Request you all to let me know how to go about it.

Thanks & Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

In this scenario, you install system as system copy method and choose install Target system with database specific method. Then when system prompts you to restore the database then click on OK because you have already restored the database and continue from this point. Your system will be installed after few steps.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sunny, Thanks for reply.

Yes. I got the point. I need to be absolutely sure that the existing database should not be over written. I have not run SAPINST for long time therefore just wanted to be sure. If i press OK it will consider the exising database and will NOT Overwrite , RIGHT?

Becuase the existing database is in TB's and if it happen then it will be very bad for me.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I do not think it's is going to be as simple as that.

He's going to have to hack the control.xml quite a few times.

It's going to get really messy......

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does your restore DB filesystem look like a standard SAP install. ?

E.G

sapdata's oraiglogA / B etc

If it does try just install the Central Instance option....

Is this system just ABAP..

Mark

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As long as database information that you will give while using sapinst (using target system installation using database restore method), it will not overwrite database.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

All, Thanks for replying

Please find below answer to some of your quries.

1) Yes, This is ABAP only installation.

2) The database is oracle and the file systems on database server are as per SAP standard.

So as per Sunny,

Only way forward is to install the database instance using system copy method of back restore.

I have a mail from my senior, saying

"Normally, sapinst should sense database, SAPERP schema owner and you should be all set.

If that does not happen, as soon as sapinst pauses - so you may continue with Oracle Universal Installer in a different window

,you should STOP (abandon) the Database Instance install phase."

Here is the query.

1) "you should STOP (abandon) the Database Instance install phase."

I am not sure how to stop OR abandon the database instnace install phase. Do anyone knows this?

Thanks fore your reply

Regards

former_member266290
Participant
0 Kudos

>

> 1) "you should STOP (abandon) the Database Instance install phase."

> I am not sure how to stop OR abandon the database instnace install phase. Do anyone knows this?

>

During installation, SAPinst will pop up a window for database installation saying:

To Proceed with the installation, install the Oracle database as follows...
After you installed the Oracle database software, proceed with....by choosing "OK" in this dialog box.

So don't install the oracle database and click on "OK" and proceed for next phases of installation.