cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule archiving jobs

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are trying to schedule periodically the archiving jobs for several objects.

To be more specific, we begin with MM_EKKO archiving object and we would like to chain the 3 steps : preprocessor the write, then delete.

Chaining delete after write is easy : In "technical Setting", we just have to tickle "start automatically" in the "delete jobs" parameters.

But how to chain automatically write step after preprocessor ?

Obviously, I tried usual options in SM36 and used "after job" parameter. But what job can I enter as the job name for precprocessor is automatically generated by SAP and changed at every new job (the date and time are included in the name, e.g : ARV_MM_EKKO_SUB20110406163238) ?

Do I need to use an exernal third party scheduler to do this ?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can use AFTER EVENT to start the chain as you want

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sure ! but what EVENT ? Does the preprocessor job generate an event ?

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As the jobs are generated by SARA is not possible to link them to a particular event (not as far as I can see, correct me if I'm wrong).

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you really need that, write a small abap report triggering the event defined in the variant and then use this report as the second step of your pre processing job.

It works but the only problem is that step 2 is executed (event triggering) even if the pre processing fails.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Serge,

I have been researching on your query lately and have put accross this question to some Archiving Experts at my end. Hopefully, will come up with a full-proof solution.

But in the meantime, if you have a sandbox or if you can do a research, please do the following:

1. In SARA, under the TECHNICAL SETTINGS tab go to the VERIFY ARCHIVE FILES box.

2. There just click on the following, Before Deleting, Before Reading and Before Reloading.

3. I think this BEFORE READING box could be a solution.

4. And for deletion check the START AUTOMATICALLY option.

Please try this and let us know. If solved, okay and if not then I will reply back after conveying from the experts.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Olivier,

Thanks for your proposal.

I think your idea should work. In addition, I think taht we have already this kind of report in our "toolbox".

Of course, it is not perfectly fixing the issue as we cannot check the return code of preprocessor, but we have made a lot of tests and this preprocessor job never failed (once authorizations were granted).Furthermore, if this step ever fail one day, the consequences should be that the write step would not archive any object, what is not a severe issue.

Regards

Serge

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Avishek

I thank you for your research.

As I understand, you suggest to tick the BEFORE READING option in the TECHNICAL SETTINGS / VERIFY ARCHIVE FILES.

As far as I know, this option is designed to check physical files and adds informations in logs, that is not exactly what I want to do.

In addition, this box is already ticked and this does not affect preprocessor job.

I will try to implement Oliviers Chretien's solution.

Thank you for your help.

former_member487858
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Serge,

You can do this by a custom code. My suggestion is to create the dynamic variant with same name for both Preprocessing and Write programs . Put this condition in the code to check the ADMI* Tables to verify whether the Preprocessing job is completed for that particular Write job. If not , dont trigger the Write Job. Put all the three programs in a single job .

Thanks - Swarna.

fjhernanz
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Serge,

This is more an application specific question but I think the following should help about preprocessing on MM_EKKO:

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_05/helpdata/EN/8d/3e5c48462a11d189000000e8323d3a/frameset.htm

check also note 401318

Br,

Javier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Javier

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, it doesn't fix the issue.

My question is not specific to MM_EKKO object : it is relevant for all archiving object that have a preprocessor step (e.g : SD_VBAK, RV_LIKP, SD_VBRK).

The link and the OSS note you gave do not bring any information to chain preprocessor with write step.

Regards,

Serge

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Serge,

As far as I know theres no standard way to chain prepreocess job with the write job, I guess is designed so you can analize the data before starting the archiving run.

Regards

Juan