cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduled backusp from external DB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi people,

I´ve two sap systems (abap and java separated instances) in the same host. Now I want to scheduled the backups of the java systems from the abap system. I´ve read about this, but in the notes that I´ve founded, explains how to externel databases, using a sap gateway. If the two databases are in the same machine it´s necessary?

1025707 - DBA Cockpit planning calendar and remote Oracle databases

1017324 - EP on Oracle: Poor portal performance

853610 - Configuring transaction DB13C for Oracle

838725 - Oracle dictionary statistics and system statistics

More thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Unfortunately the notes expect you to use Solution Manager (and the steps are therefore documented for these).

However, there is no reason why you cannot set up on a non-Solution Manager system.

Below is on an ABAP NW 7.01 Support Pack 7 system.

e.g. of your J2EE instance SID is J2E, schema owner is SAPJ2EDB and your SQL named instance is SERVER\J2E

DBACOCKPUT -> System Configuration; Add

[Configuration: System Administration - Add System Entry]

System: <Name of your system> e.g. J2E

Select:

Remote Database (Checkbox)

Database Connection (Checkbox)

In Field next to database connection enter SID and press the create button

[DB Connections: Add connection Entry]

Connection Name = <SID> e.g. J2E

Database System = Microsoft SQL Server

User name = SAP<SID>DB (Schema owner of J2EE instance) e.g. SAPJ2EDB

Password/Confirm = <Password of schema owner>

Connection Parameters

Database Server (instance); <SQL Server Named instance> e.g. SERVER\J2E

Database Name <SID>; e.g. J2E

Save; Save

In DBACOCKPIT select System J2E

You should get a screen <SID>: Configuration - SQL Script Execution

Select Functional Level = ABAP Web AS and press Execute Script.

Former Member
0 Kudos

acter set and national character set are mandatory?

More thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

The notes (and the method you have attempted) to execute a backup on the external database are relevant for oracle database, not for SQL Database.

For SAP on oracle databases you use the brbackup tool for execution of backups.

For SAP on SQL databases you use the SQL Database backup method for execution of backups (via DB13 or DBACOCKPIT).

You don't mention what SAP releaes your ABAP stack is.

Provided it is NW 7 or higher then please read the following notes:

SAP Note#1027145 - Database Administration and Monitoring using the DBA Cockpit

SAP Note#1265134 - DBA Cockpit: Connecting a remote database &

SAP Note#1388700 - SQL Server Remote Database Monitoring in Solution Manager 400.

Basically, you just need to set up a conneciton in the ABAP system via DBACOCKPIT (Db connections) to your J2EE database. I assume your ABAP system is also SQL Server so you don't need to worry about the DB libraries etc, you just need to have a userid/password for the J2EE SQl Server database (the schema user should be ok) and you can then administer the J2EE database (including setting up backups etc.) from DBACOCKPIT in the ABAP system.

If your ABAP system is < NW 7 then I assume you will have a Solution Manager system which you could use instead.

Else also have a look at http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/7f/a70f9caac6493eacb38e1ad297ec63/frameset.htm for earlier releases.

Edited by: Colin Varney on Apr 8, 2011 5:42 AM

Edited by: Colin Varney on Apr 8, 2011 5:43 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thans Colin for your answer,

The version of the netweaver is 7.01, but the only option is over solution manager for external backup on MS SQL?

Former Member
0 Kudos

But there are a guide that explains the steps for to do this?

Basically, you just need to set up a conneciton in the ABAP system via DBACOCKPIT (Db connections) to your J2EE database. I assume your ABAP system is also SQL Server so you don't need to worry about the DB libraries etc, you just need to have a userid/password for the J2EE SQl Server database (the schema user should be ok) and you can then administer the J2EE database (including setting up backups etc.) from DBACOCKPIT in the ABAP system.

I was trying on DBACOCKPIT> DB Connections >Add DBCON entry and after that I put the connection parameter details:

Database server (instance), Database Name, Object Source Name, Database user... But It doesn´t work.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The process is the same, for the ABAP instance the other database instance is "external", whether running on the same machine or not.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Then I need to install the sap gateway even If there are two sap systems in the same host?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can use the gateway of the ABAP instance.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I´ve installed the sap gateway. I´ve configured the rfc tcp/ip SAPXPG_DBDEST_host, and after that I go to dbacockpit and set the dba connection.

I´ve put the SID of the system and checked the remote database and RFC destination, and save. But it doesn´t work.

Where can found the configuration guide for this? The database es MS SQL SERVER 2005

More thanks