Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Report Server data with hidden filter parameters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello SCN folks.

We are evaluating Crystal Reports Server. My question is:

Is it possible to create a Crystal report so that the data is filtered, (ideally at the SQL/database level,) by means of a parameter or field which is programmatically passed to the report viewer in such a way that the SAME report template and datasource would be shared between MULTPLE groups of users, each seeing a filtered subset of the report data? So for example a datasource has a "Company ID" high in each table's key and we want to filter each request implicitly on that but NOT allow the User to CHANGE or even see that filter parameter in any way, (I.e. passed as hidden or read only field when report is viewed and refreshed.)

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have created a user table in our database where we store the CEUsername, along with a list of companies that user can access.

We set a Data Foundation filter using "currentCEuser" so that only the companies in the user list can be accessed by the user.

This seems to work OK & gives a database administrator access to control this themselves without needing the CMS access

Former Member
0 Kudos

Brilliant, thanks Julie. I will need to learn more about Data Foundation filters when I have time to understand this.

I have managed to get my simple case to work by using a parameter in the SQL command of CR and then setting its value in the published instance in CMC under each user folder and aslo clearing the "Prompt when viewing" setting - that may be a naive approach but will do me for now for my evaluation.

I will mark this thread as answered but forgive me if I reopen a similar one down the line to explore the subject more deeply.

Thanks from Jim O'Mulloy.

0 Kudos

Hello,

I moved your post to the BOE CRS Admin forum. You can do this through the record selection formula once published to each users folder. There are other ways also, the Admin group should be able to get you configured to do so.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Don, we will try that.