cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrated ECC 6.0 to win2008 & SQL 2008, want to maintain tms history

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

We are in the process of migrating our landscape and I've already completed sandbox and just completing DEV.

I want to transfer all the transport history from our current landscape to the new landscape.

I know how to move all the transports (cofiles and datafiles)

I also have tools (scripts) that I've built to add all these transports to new transport domain.

However, I';m not sure which directory and files I need for this new system (DEV and transport domain)

really appreciate your input

thanks so much

maria

Edited by: Maria Graziano on Apr 5, 2011 9:14 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you for all your input, history maintained by copying usr\xx\tans and rebuilding in Clustered enviornemnt. TMS domain required configuration to maintain transports for QAS & Prdn cluster

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Maria,

copy the full /usr/sap/trans, especially /usr/sap/trans/buffer/*

Markus

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Markus.

that seems rather extreme. Will this effect the fact that there is information regarding QAS & Prdn that have not yet been migrated to the new OS and SQL ? (we are performing a parallel migration and will not be cutting over for at least another couple of months)?

maria

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> that seems rather extreme. Will this effect the fact that there is information regarding QAS & Prdn that have not yet been migrated to the new OS and SQL ? (we are performing a parallel migration and will not be cutting over for at least another couple of months)?

So you mean you'll have more instances than your normal landscape? Means e. g.

1 PRD

2 QA (one actual and one in migration)

1 TST

or do I get something wrong here?

Markus

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Currently , we have four servers (ECC 6.0) (sandbox, dev, qas and prdn), running on win 2003 sql 2005. We are in the process of migrating to win 2008 sql 2008.

So far I have built Sandbox (not in stms ) and Dev, domain controller. I will be building QAS and Prdn (and this is where it will get tricky as we are implementing HA on these two environments)

However staying with the question, I would like to maintain version of transports as well as history etc... when the time comes to cutover to the new environment. (understood that the copy of data may need to be done again at cutover time , just so that we can ensure point in time info)

does this help?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> However staying with the question, I would like to maintain version of transports as well as history etc... when the time comes to cutover to the new environment. (understood that the copy of data may need to be done again at cutover time , just so that we can ensure point in time info)

Usually you have the transport directory one time while the other systems access it remotely by a share, right? Or do you maintain several copies?

In the first case you have to copy only once, means, at the time you switch the system holding the data and then reconfigure the other systems to use the "new server" instead of the old one.

Markus

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

We have one transport system and it is share by the other two systems of course. We do not maintain duplicate or copies

However I think I've confused you.

SO... here I try again

We have the active servers ... sandbox , dev , qas and prdn

then we have the NEW servers sandbox, dev, qas and prdn

The server names are different BUT , I've maintained the same SIDs.

Once the NEW servers have been built/configured. we will take a weekend to cutover onto the new environment.

So ?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Once the NEW servers have been built/configured. we will take a weekend to cutover onto the new environment.

So at this weekend you have a downtime and you simply copy \usr\sap\trans over completely, then re-setup TMS.

Markus

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Exactly where I was going with it.

RIght now I'm copying over trans from current server to new server (DEV) and see if I can view the history there.

Also, all those transports currently in dev/qas/prdn, once copied to the new environment, will we be able to view them or do we actually have to re 'add' them to the new domain?

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Also, all those transports currently in dev/qas/prdn, once copied to the new environment, will we be able to view them or do we actually have to re 'add' them to the new domain?

New domain? That's a very new aspect.

Never had that scenario, can't comment on that. Just try it out

Markus

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

The new domain will be on the NEW server ie. different directory, but same info

old domain serverA\sap\usr\ECD\trans

new domain serverB\sap\user\ECD\trans

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Domain = Windows Domain or TMS domain?

A change of the windows domains won't make problems.

Markus

MPGraziano
Participant
0 Kudos

Just took a look in DEV, and I see all the transports in the STMS

however somehow can't see history (F5) . I went back to the old system and in fact there were transport on april 4th. (new tools from vendor imported to DEV via tansports)

I CAN however on the new system view the TP System Log, as well as the export history

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Recently I have performed similar migration from win 2003 to win 2008 R2.

Regarding TMS, we need to take backup of full trans folder (specially log, data, cofiles, buffer, bin)

Re-configure TMS in the newly migrated system

Restore backup except bin directory.

Everything suid work fine.

I have done this for atleast 5-6 landscape.

Let me know in case you need any further details.

Regards,

Rajneesh