cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tablespace Index Reorg

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI All,

I am following Note 646681 section IV for Tablespace Reorg. I created a new tablespace and for reorg I am using the below command.

brspace -u / -f tbreorg -s PSAPBTABD -t "*" -n PSAPBTABDNEW -p 4

When i execute the above command I understand that all tables and Indexes will transfer to the new tablespace and PSAPBTABI will become emtpy. But i want seperate Index tablespace.

Could you please any one say how to reorg Index tablespace seperately using brspace online reorg ?

Thanks

Prasad

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Simply do both at the same time:

brspace -u / -f tbreorg -s PSAPBTABD -t "*" -n PSAPBTABDNEW -i PSAPBTABINEW -p 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric,

Thanks for the command. So My understanding is i should creat two new tablespaces one for tables and other for Index and reorg in one command simultaneously. As it is a online reorg i assume that i can reorg while users are logged in. IF there is any affect please let me know.

I will try this command and get you with the results.

Thanks

Prasad

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, this will work.

but if some tables have LONG or LONG RAW fields, you will have a decision to make:

1. reorg these tables offline and leave them as LONG and LONG WAR

2. convert them to LOB. review LONG2LOB option from SAP note 646681.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Database is already converted to LMTS before. Do i need to worry about LONG RAW Tables ?

PS: HPUX / ORACLE 10g / ECC6

Thanks

Prasad

Edited by: Basis CNI on Apr 6, 2011 4:05 PM

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

yes, you need to worry.

there are no relations between LMTS and LONG fields.

BRSPACE will tell you if there are LONG or LONG RAW in your tablespace.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric,

I need to do tablespace reorg for "PSAPBTABD" and "PSAPBTABI" which is of 700GB each. I requested unix team to add space to volume group in HPUX. But for creating New tablespace i need to say name of the mount point in which space need to be added like sapdata8, sapdata9,sapdata10..etc.. So my question is it ok if i say one mount point name like /oracle/QA2/sapdata9 for the entire 700 GB or i need to split up things. Please advice. I know this is not oracle related question but i need advice from experiance guys.

Thanks

Prasad

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

it all depends on how this 700GB sapdata directory would be split at SAN level.

for your information, I created a 2TB SAPDATA1 directory on one on my productive instance and that works well. In my case, this partition is stripped on many fast disks.

Edited by: Eric Brunelle on Apr 7, 2011 8:32 AM... fixed 2GB by 2TB.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why do you bother with the command line at all?

Use the menu program! Use brtools and you have a nice user interface that offers all the options you need.

Or, if you rather like to click and point - use brgui...

Why do Basis admins seem to have the tendency to make their life unnecessary hard?

regards,

Lars

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lars,

Sap note 646681 explains how to use BRSPACE, so, this is why people tend to use what SAP recommends them!

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Eric,

yes and no...

The primary, most important source of "how-should-I-use-the-software" is the documentation.

[SAP Database Guide: Oracle|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/47/14672ed07521bfe10000000a114a6b/content.htm]

The note is merely meant to provide additional examples on how to choose different options...

For all sap notes one prerequisite silently taken for granted by the authors is that the reader is aware of the documented behavior of the part of the software discussed in the note.

The notes were never considered as a replacement for the documentation, but at best as an supplement to it.

regards,

Lars