cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ability to convert reports to PDF via the save to local file option?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I have an functionality idea that I would like to propose with everyone and understand why it is not currently available in SAP? I've been looking for a quick solution for end-users to allow them to convert their detailed reports to PDF. I know there is a function module which converts print spools to a PDF file but this is not straightforward for end-users. Also I don't want to add a virtual PDF printer driver footprint to the end-user workstations.

If a user is attempting to save a file in the SAPGui when choosing the following menu path SYSTEM - LIST - SAVE - LOCAL File only the following formats are permitted:

- unconverted

- Spreadsheet

- Rich text format

- HTML Format

- In the Clipboard

Why can't SAP include PDF format in this list? This would be such a great place holder to allow end-users to produce their own PDF files. It would be great if it would call the Adobe reader and display the report in PDF format. This would then allow the user to print any specific pages or save it to file.

Any feedback or comments are welcomed.

Thanks,

Luc

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would guess that the reason for that is political and/or affected by (Adobe) patents.

Usually users want to navigate/sort/copy-paste on reports/grids displayed, if a standard grid is what we're talking about.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

Thanks for your feedback. You are right. I believe this could be a licence issue with Adobe but what I find funny is that we do find a conversion function solution within SAP but I find it is not a very practical one.

As far as the type of reports, you are correct by saying that users like to navigate and refine their findings but this creation of the PDF document would not allow to drill-down nor sort. It would only allow you to produce a PDF document at the final detailed stage of the report.

I find that users most of the time will produce large reports and then print them to find at the end that they only need a few pages. As of now, there is no quick way of printing a few pages other than to download and manipulate a RTF or spreadsheet document.

Thanks again,

Luc

Answers (0)