cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best strategy for making an external call within a message map

matt_austin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello, I need a little help please, I am looking for the best decision to solve a business need. We currently have 2 mapping scenarios in XI. The inputs are of different format, but they both result in the same IDOC format that gets sent to R/3 to create a sales order. What we need to do is call a webservice to check the validity of some data before it goes to R/3. I am thinking the best place to do this is after I have the message in an IDOC form, (so as not to duplicate code), then do the validity check, but how do I do this? Do I have a third map that is an IDOC to IDOC map, with a user defined function to call the web service? Do I use a BPM process to manage this? I need some coaching as I do not have any BPM experience. Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

matt_austin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Michal, that is the coaching I was looking for... I will proceed in that direction!!

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Matt,

in one interface mapping you can use many

message mappings

check my weblog how to do it:

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/11/01/xi-xml-node-into-a-string-with-graphical-mapping

so you can create two maps:

a) first message to IDOC

b) second message to IDOC

and the third:

IDOC to IDOC (in which you'll do the validation check)

and just add this IDOC to IDOC map

to both interface mappings (as the last mapping)

maybe you can use this solution

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Michal,

in order to do this, he'd have to use the soap lookup api (or something like that), is that so? Do you have any references on this matter?

In my opinion, it'd be more "correct" to do it with BPM and synchronous call of the webservice through sync send step. But I'm almost sure that its performance would be worse than the mapping using the lookup api.

Regards,

Henrique.