Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing queue SP files - concern about space available

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello gurus,

I´m with a doubt regarding the requirements of disk space for an importing support packages queue which is very large. I will do an update support packages to the last stack 19 SAP ERP 6.0 and this system is at level 5 (SAP_APPL component is in level 5)!

So, this will be a big jump on level components, I have in EPS/in 950 files (7Gb)! My concern is about the disk space of /usr/sap/trans, at this moment it has 13Gb available! Can you tell me if it has enough available space for this importing process (for phase disassemble and not only!)? Or I should increase the disk space of TRANS directory before I start the importing process?

Can you help me please?

Thank you

Kind regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have additional 13GB free in /usr/sap/trans then I don't think so there is a problem at all. You can go ahead and upgrade the system.

Thanks

Sunny

former_member256254
Participant
0 Kudos

Agree with Sunny,

As long as you have enough space to extract all .SAR/.CAR files in /usr/sap/trans/EPS/in then there wouldn't be any problem.

You can clear up that folder after the update finished.

Thanks

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Sunny and Nur Agus Suryoko,

Yes, I already did all that extract files to other directory and I change the path of EPS/in (changing the value of DIR_EPS_ROOT parameter in RZ10), but my concern is about the free space of transport directory if 13Gb of free space is enough... I'm not 100% sure of this! But you told me it is enough...

Kind regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As already said, this space is enough.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes,

Though importing support package is like importing a transport request, but the source of import is already there, so there won't be any more space needed than /EPS/in.

Any increase in space would probably in the tablespace consumption of database.

Thanks

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Shadowdancer

You´re wrong... attention, that is not correct! Of course it will need more space! Besides the space of all support packages files in EPS/in you'll need more space, especially for the phase "Disassemble" (.../trans/data and .../trans/cofiles) and for other things such as log files (in directories.../trans/log or .../trans/tmp).

One hint:

You can delete all files in EPS/in after the Disassemble phase or you can change the directory and define other location for files, instead EPS/in you can put all that files in other location, and for this, you have to change the value of parameter DIR_EPS_ROOT in tcode RZ10 (DIR_EPS_ROOT = )

Best regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Its not only about EPS/in...

During the import process, the files get created in trans/log folder.

Also all the PAT files will be extracted & 2 files will be created in \data & \cofiles folders.

I dont think 13 GB is enough.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Surely the disk space is not enough. From practical experiences, I guess atleast three times space is enough, that is, for your 7 GB pack you should atleast have more than 20 GB free space. Figure out that much space and then start importing.

But, after all import the DB space will also icrease please take a note of the size of your table spaces too!

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I already started this importing process! I have 13Gb free disk space in DIR_TRANS. In that moment I am in SPDD adjustment phase. After the "DISASSEMBLE" phase the DIR_TRANS increase 7Gb... so at this point it has 6Gb free disk space! What do you think? Is enough for the rest of process?

Best regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Former Member
0 Kudos

No.

But now you can free up the space by moving SAR files from EPS/in

Regards,

Rajneesh

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Rajneesh,

No Rajneesh... that .SAR files never exist in EPS/in, I did the extract (decompressing) to other directory/path, in other filesystem with free disk space, that I created before (<...>/packages/in)! So, after I used this directory with files .PAT for all importing process (for this purpose I had to change the parameter DIR_EPS_ROOT = <...>/packages/in)!

When I opened this thread and said that I have in that moment 13Gb free space in /usr/sap/trans filesystem, I was referring already without the files .SAR ; .CAR or .PAT!

Kind regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Delete old files from DATA, COFILES & LOG folder

joo_migueldimas
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello to all,

I already finished the all process of updating support packages and have not had any problem in terms of space, 13GB of free disk space was enough, this file system of DIR_TRANS now has 2.5 Gb free space! Great!

Now I have other question, a few days I have to do the same import in other systems that are connected with the same transport system (DIR_TRANS)... my question is, will be necessary before making such imports, delete the log files generated on the import of SP which has now ended, to have enough space in DIR_TRANS file system to do other imports!?

Thank you

Best regards,

João Dimas - Portugal

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes you can delete/move the old logs.

You can check the size of all logs created for your current complete SP import activity.

If it is less than 2.5 GB then no need to worry.

Regards,

Rajneesh

Answers (0)