Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Summation of Total Defects in Results Entry Screen

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've setup an qualitative MIC with..

1. fixed sample size

2. valuation based upon total no of defects

3. a link to a category #9 code group and defect codes.

When I enter the defects via the inspection lot, the link to my code group works perfect and I can document the number of defects by category in the defect table.

How do I get SAP to sum/total the number of defects from my defect table back into the result entry screen automatically?

Right now, it's a manual summation and transcription of the total defects from the defect table to the results entry screen to enter the total defects (in order to process the valuation against the characteristic).

Mark

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep - makes sense, thanks for your input, I was hoping that since my valuation criteria was total number of defects, SAP would sum and return this value back to the RR screen.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'm sure you could probably accomplish what you want through some user exits or some type of development or screen exits. If you do, just remember that you don't want to paint the business into a corner. The summation of defects might work great now, but in a year from now, a product line changes, a business is bought, a new product comes in, or one of those brilliant engineers gets hired right out of college, and the next thing you know they want every defect under the sun tracked and recorded.

FF

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yeah, that would be nice wouldn't it? But since SAP is used in many industries it is difficult to do what you want.

In the lot you are really supposed to be recording the number of sample units that were defective. I.e. You have 100 units, you call for inspecting 10 and you mark two as defective. But in you defects recording you might list 4 different defects. One unit had three different defects and the other had had only one. SAP can't sum those and mark 4 defective units.

Or you might be recording minor defects that might not lead to actually making the unit inspected as defective. For instance, on some products, if the label isn't quite on straight it's not the end of the world. In other industries it is critical.

So you might have 50 label defects but no actual defective units.

Make sense?

FF