cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrong port in FTP receiver adapter -> no errors in message monitoring?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all

We're on XI 3.0 SP16 and have created / configured a HTTP XML -> XI -> FTP Server scenario. In the receiver comm. channel (ftp) we had specified a wrong port number and always wondered, why we never got errors in message monitoring. Everything seemed to be processed correctly... but no file arrived on the FTP server (receiver) side!

After correcting the wrong FTP port number in the receiver FTP comm. channel everything went fine.

We now encountered a similar problem with a RFC receiver adapter. We're using it in another scenario HTTP XML -> XI -> RFC to SAP R/3 (4.7).

For some reason it died (red status in adapter monitor) and it was no more possible to do RFC calls from XI to SAP R/3 (normal RFC adapter, NO proxies).

In XI message monitor everything seemed to be ok but no message arrived till SAP R/3. Nothing in any queue...

After deactivating and reactivation the RFC receiver comm. channel it worked again BUT ALL PREVIOUSLY SENT messages seem to be lost.

Is it really the way it works? Does XI integration engine at runtime NOT catch whether or not a RFC or FTP receiver adapter died, thus is not able to tell somewhere in message monitor that a message could not be delivered at all?

I'm really confused here but hopefully I simply don't understand some easy principles to take into account...

Our SAP R/3 is on rel. 4.70 with Web AS 6.20. The XI 3.0 plugin is not installed. Do we need to go with server proxies there and use QOS = best effort?!?

Thanks for some suggestions.

Best regards,

Renaud

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

take a look at the RFC Adapter FAQ. You will get some pointers. Esp Question 12 and 20 of note : 730870

Regards,

Bhavesh

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

you see the error in the adapter message monitor

http://hostname:portnumber/MessagingSystem/monitor/monitor.jsp

have a look at my weblog to understand:

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2006/06/22/xi-playing-with-the-file-adapters-acknowledgments

>>>>>n XI message monitor everything seemed to be ok but no message arrived till SAP R/3. Nothing in any queue...

After deactivating and reactivation the RFC receiver comm. channel it worked again BUT ALL PREVIOUSLY SENT messages seem to be lost.

you cannot restart sync (Best effort) messages - never!

Regards,

michal

-

<a href="/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2005/06/28/xipi-faq-frequently-asked-questions"><b>XI / PI FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions</b></a>

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal

Thanks... works great for normal XML based messages!

Now, what if I wanted to pass binary files from one ftp server via BPM to another ftp server in order to enable the transport acknowledgment?

The files polled from ftp server using the ftp sender adapter are all in binary format (ARJ). No xml data in there. How should the message format look like in BPM for the receiving step? Or: how to make sure not to loose the binary content when passing through BPMs?

I need this sort of scenario because of the tansport acknowledgment and because I need to have some sort of message splitting (send the binary file over to a second ftp server and additionally send some kind of info message to SAP R/3 regarding thin binary file).

BTW: in the MessagingSystem/monitor/monitor.jsp I do not see sender / receiver information. Is this normal? It's quite of a bad thing to look inside each message in order to find out what message I'm having in front of me...

Thanks a lot for your support and patience!

Kind regards,

Renaud

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>>No xml data in there. How should the message format look like in BPM for the receiving step

if you don't use any mapping it can be any type (one item for example) as it will not be checked anywhere

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal

Thanks again... will give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

BR

Renaud

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal

Just wanted to let you know that it works now (without any mappings). Thanks a lot for your help!

One thing still remains: what if I anyway wanted to have some mapping? How to ensure to keep / handle the binary file content?

Some further info, hints, pointers, guideance on this would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,

Renaud

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal / everybody

Someone knowing how to handle and keep binary file content EVEN WHEN DOING mappings?

We're on XI 3.0 SP16.

I also heard / read about using proxies in file-2-file scenarios. Our scenario looks like that:

FTP server of external business partner -> XI ftp sender adapter -> XI IE -> XI file receiver adapter -> XI local file system.

Again: our files are in binary format, no XML content in them.

If going with proxies would be a better way: where to create them, how and what kind of proxy (client and/or server, ABAP and/or Java, combinations)?

Thank you so much for some guideance.

Kind regards,

Renaud