cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which instance to install NWDI (Dev, Test, Qual)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we are developing on a PI 7.11 system and have some custom java

development (Java mappings, EJB's, etc.)

We are using CTS+ for transporting the objects but would also like to

save our sources in a DTR.

I read that the NWDI should best have an own server instance. But as we

do not have that and we just have a few objects,

we would like to install it on an existing instance.

The question now is: Where should we install the NWDI (DTR) components

(DEV, TEST, QUAL)?

I think the test or quality system might be best as they will be more stable as Dev.

But what happends if there is a systemcopy made from PROD to these 2 environments?

Any suggestions?

Thanks and best regards,

Peter

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i would suggest QA server, which is more stable and powerful.

you have to find another server if your current system always get refreshed regularly.

former_member214355
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Peter

Please refer to the following SAP notes for general restrictions:

754143 - CMS remarks/restrictions

737368 - Hardware requirements of Java Development Infrastructure

We would recommend to install NWDI onto a separate host. One advantage

in this case is that you does not need to take care of the update of the

NWDI framework if you update any of the above mentioned runtime systems

(DEV,TEST,QUAL).

Thanks

Kenny

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As mentioned, go with a separate host, even though you don't have one today. If you're going to do this development, then you can afford another box. It doesn't have to be a huge box, though NWDI is a notorious resource hog in our installation. Because of that, however, if you put it on the same install as one of your DEV or QA instances, your users will notice the load whenever you are doing an NWDI operation, such as a build. Also, we have found it's very unstable, when doing builds the CBS often needs restarting, and sometimes the entire NWDI instance hangs and needs a restart. Another good reason to isolate it from your other instances, so they are not so impacted by this.

--Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

thanks for yur answers. We are going to install it on another host.

Best regards,

Peter

shreyas_pandya
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

According to me The best option would be to install the NWDI on Development Host.

I have been working in a CE landscape, where we have NWDI installed on the development host.

So, our source code repository DTR is very well managed in Dev Host.

Now, understand the below mentioned scenario.

Each Track that you create in NWDI is composed of

4 DTR workspaces namely....

Dev Inactive workspace Dev Active workspace Cons Inactive workspace Cons Inactive workspace

PLUS 2 build-spaces namely...

Dev Build-space Cons Build-space

1) When you Check-In your Activity from NWDS Open Activities View, the source code gets settled inside Dev Inactive workspace.

2) When you Activate your Activity from NWDS Activation View, the source code present inside Dev Inactive workspace is built by the CBS. If the build is successful, then only the source code gets settled into Dev Active workspace,

PLUS the the CBS Dev Build-space will now contain a built version of your DC. Also the same copy of your built version is deployed on the J2EE engine.

Now, Please understand that your Development Host will have both the Build-spaces containing the Built versions Track-wise as well as the deployed copies on J2EE engine.

Hope this will help you.

Regards,

Shreyas Pandya